Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 01:55:27 PM

Author Topic: whats happening with threading  (Read 18611 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: whats happening with threading
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »
Hood,
Thanks for posting about the change required to get a G32 code as I completely forgot about it.  :)
So attached is a pic of what needs to be changed.
RICH
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
before I had a chance to try Hoods m1076 threading macro swap I
pulled all the electronics from the machine ands set about to rewire .
maybe I have some noise or something .Holy crap what a way to spend an afternoon.
 ??? :o.More to follow.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »
And we're back.Redid the whole electrical cabinet .I still have a problem though
I tried the m1076 false/true.Still nothing.However , with the turning plugin
I see that my actual rpm and set rpm are constant with in 1. the locked rpm are very differant.
What controls the locked rpm?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
KEITHMECH,
You are not getting the G32 code output from the threading wizard after changing the m1076 file?
RICH
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »
yes I am getting the G32 code output.This makes no difference at all.I tried
changing the encoder disk from 1 slot to 4.I ran the spindle calipration and
my true speed and entered speed are on.I even tried cutting a thread with
.001 infeed per pass .With straight turning  this lathe can take .250
on the radius for a doc.It is a hardinge.I'm machining c12l14 the closest thing to butter.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
Hi:

At the moment, locked RPM WILL be different from actual RPM . This is by design. The program is using the
interrupt system for threading, which means the RPM may be off by a certain % , but pretty much everyone will
see a difference between locked and actual, thats normal.

I dont recomment using 4 inputs on the slot though, just one, and in the INDEX input, dont use the timing input if you
dont have to. If the RPM is steady, then all shoudl be well. In the threading diags plugin, an led will light up if an index slot is missed,
does it light up?

Art
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »
Hi Art, no the index light does not light up.I made up a new 1 slot disk 20 mm slot width.
I adjusted the pid loop so that with a 2x4 wedged against the spindle the motor holds a nice steady rpm.
The thread pitch is good . If I stop after a cut or 2 and check the pitch its as good as my pitch gauges.
I wonder if having my pulse board connected to a second pp might be the problem.I find it strange though that the x axis
has a mind of its own.
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »
I added a dwell g04 of a second at the start of each cut, just to give the computer
time to think what it is doing and now I have some very nice threads coming off the machine.
I can live with that for now.Kind of looks like its waiting for the number on the half nut to line up ;D
I have a smooth stepper on its way for another machine, if it works as advertised I'll probably
get one for this machine as well.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
Well I know the SmoothStepper works flawlessly for threading on my lathe but then again so did the parallel port. I have about 20HP at the spindle when threading at 1000RPM so I didnt expect any issues. However a month or so back the spindle sheared a key in the headstock and the spindle had no power at all, it was still rotating due to the tight fit of the gear on the shaft but as it was threading the revs were dropping drastically, down to under 200RPM during cuts and back up to 1000 when the tool was out of the work, I decided just to let the cycle finish and to my amazement the thread was perfect. :)
Hood
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
Kind of ot for this thread but I installed my first smooth stepper.Took about an hour
to mount connect configure and be amazed.Works great on the big mazak.
I'm kind of reluctant to get the speed up much past 400 ipm as the table on the machine is 1500
lbs.Now just have to get the tool changer sorted out.I have a cubloc plc to handle that.
I'll be installing a smooth stepper on to the lathe soon.