Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:13:26 PM

Author Topic: DC-Drive on my Taig mill  (Read 8423 times)

DC-Drive on my Taig mill
« on: December 02, 2008, 03:20:57 AM »
Converted my Taig to a variable speed DCdrive and vacuuum debris pickup  , enjoy the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP-W0reWh5s

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: DC-Drive on my Taig mill
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:15:51 AM »
Excellent machine and conversion also very professional video, I thought I was watching Star Wars !.

Regards, Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
Awesome set-up!
  Are you cutting parts right in the operating room, or just in a regular hospital room? HeHeHe :D
  I envy >:D your ability to keep a tidy shop! Another goal to shoot at, I guess.
  Seriously though.. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!
Thanks, Glenn
Don't assume anything.....it'll make a Manager out of U and Me!

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
Very nice work, my friend.

How about sharing some details about it.

If I may ask, I'd be interested knowing the speed/torque available , the weight, and how it's wired......oh, and where'd you get it-  :D

Never get tired of seeing your schtuff -  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
Thank you all for the nice comments

Budman....The motor was bought from Princess Auto they specialize in surplus items of all kinds , it is a 1.5hp treadmill motor with permanent magnets inside hence having to use a bridge rectifier to change the AC current to DC . As far as wiring the motors posative and neg go to the rectifier's pos + neg terminals and from there the AC goes to the variable router speed control you see on the wall in the vid which uses 120volts household current . The motors output rpm is about 6500 at 120 volts.....torque I don't know but it has gobs . the motor is a little lighter than the standard taig 1/4 hp supplied or around 5-7 lbs . I had the motors casing chromed to give it more sex appeal . If you notice there is a small motor/generator to the right of the main motor , that supplies 7volts at every 1000rpm so the pully machined for this has been reduced so that it will read on a digital volt meter 10.00 volts when the spindal is at 1000rpm or 65volts at 6500rpm . I ordered a nice little volt meter from ebay and will install it on the taig when it gets here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=310104251364

Being that we both have Taigs I usually check to see if you have made some more interesting upgrades to yours also , I to enjoy very much checking out your fine workmanship
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:08:14 PM by Peter Zicha »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
Excellent, thanks for sharing the info,,,,,,, and it is indeed a very sexy looking setup you have.  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)