Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:53:00 PM

Author Topic: plasma on off  (Read 12952 times)

plasma on off
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »
Hello:
new member here.  I am looking for some help on setting up Mach3 for plasma cutting.  I have X&Y axle working and tuned, but I am having problems with
turning plasma on and off and delay for piercing. Is there a manual or pictures of setting that I can get info from? I assume it is something simple.
I also have phc coming, any info on setting this would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: plasma on off
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:28:42 AM »
You can use a relay  connected to an output pin, then set it up  on Config menu, Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup. Set one relay for M3 and M4 to the output number. When your code says M3 or M4 (or type in MDI) it will start and M5 it will stop. You can also set up delays there as well.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
thanks Hood for the info

I checked my G code and I did not find M3M4M5 but I do have m7 g40 in the beginning and m8 g41 at the end. can I use these codes  to turn the plasma on and off?
thanks for any help

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »
Yes, just set the  mist coolant output for your relay.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »
I tryed this and check with a volt meter for output change and can not get output voltage change or any delay time when it goes to peirce location.
I am new at this is there a manual that has a step by step so I can do this?
or does somebody have a picture of the screen so I can compare sttings?
thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:13:15 AM »
There is a manual that covers almost everything in Mach, also there are videos. If you post your xml for the profile you are using we can see what you have for settings and may see something wrong. If you are usinng plasma it will be Mach3Plasma.xml but if you are using a custom profile the xml will be that name. You will need to copy the xml to your desktop and rename it to spatch.xml so that the forum will accept it and to attach use the additional options button on the reply page.
Hood

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 07:23:22 AM »
What CAM program and post processor are you using?
You need to set up the post processor to suit your machine or vice versa.
It would be helpful if you post a sample of your G-Code.

Regards

KTM

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »
Thank for the help when I get it going I will never forget it.
Ok . The CAM software I am using is (fast cam)
I hope I attached the xml and g code file
when I attached xml and g code files I could not send them

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:45:24 AM »
Spatch - Nobody seems to have asked what turns your plasma on, and what delay you need  - or - indeed, what system you are using.
If you are using the output from a PC - via your printer port, then Mach 3 can put out on/off signals on various pins to turn thngs on and off.
The standard printer port is three ports in one. Pins 2 to 9 are an eight pin output, Pins 1,14,16 and 17 are outputs and Pins 10 - 13, and 15 are inputs. If you are using a different interface, such as a smooth stepper, these will differ, but you should have the documentation for that.

Is is normal (but not necessary) to use the outputs 2 - 9 to control the axis - each axis requiring 2 wires. If you are only using 6 of the wires, you can use the other two for something else. We can consider than you might have pins 8,9,1,14,16 and 17 spare as outputs. These can be allocated on Mach 3 to various functions.

If you go into Config/Ports and Pins/Spindle Setup you will see, on the left hand column reference to M3,M4,M7 and M8. These can be indirectly allocated to pins, so that when GCode M3 is used, the pin for M3 goes high (or low) and similarly for all the others. To turn off M3 and M4, an M5 command is used To turn off M7 and M8 an M9 command is used. These outputs are allocated to outputs #1 to #6.

If you now turn to Config/Ports and Pins/Output signals your outputs can be allocated to pin numbers on your output port.
The signal from this output pin should then drive a relay, which in turn can drive whatever application you want. I have four outputs, all driving 5 volt relays via a Darlington array. From these relays I drive my spindle inverter, and (if I ever get it going) my coolant system.

The use of the M3, M4, M7 and M8 are not compulsory, there are other ways of driving outputs, but they are well know Gcodes - you are merely using then for a different purpose to that intended.

If you can identify from you GCode what signal you CAM program is putting out to turn on your plasma, then you can configure the appropriate output on Mach 3, and wire a relay into the system to turn your plasma on. Bear in mind it is a different Code to turn off.

I don't know if this is what you were wanting.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:20 AM »
thanks Jimpinder
G code has M7 to turn on and M8 to turn off I will try this
and when Iget this working the delay is next.