Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:56:59 AM

Author Topic: Is my 'underspec' pc causing my problems  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Roy

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Is my 'underspec' pc causing my problems
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
Now I have got my machine running almost as i want with mach, I am noticing a few glitches.

Are these due to running an 'underspec' pc. I am using an old HP Pentium 3 560mhz PC, Running the driver test on this says its all ok. And up untill now it seems to run mach 3 ok.

What I am now experiancing now I am actually machining parts is that sometimes when using cutter comp the machine goes to the correct start point, but when applying comp goes off in a completely odd direction to that programmed. If I now switch to another part programme 'B' and run that, all ok. Switch back to programme 'A' , now this runs as it should have the first time!!

Now I know there are some issues with mach and cutter comp, but this is strange.

Also occasionally and it seems randomly, I can not use the feedrate overide to speed up, although it will work to slow down.

So would any of this just be due to the 'underspec' PC being overstretched with Mach. I had intended to get a decent pc to run Mach once I had the machine set up as i wanted it, but I want to know if this is the cause of my problems before i go spending money!

Thanks Roy
1986 Denford Triac Mill running on Mach 3 Via CNC4PC breakout board.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Is my 'underspec' pc causing my problems
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »
Roy,
If you wish, post your file and  i'll run it on my laptop which i use as it's a 400 mhz and not much memory.
Never had any problem with it but it i also don't play with anything once it's running a part.
Rich

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
If it only does it when using comp, I'd say it's not the PC. I've seen similar things, where comp would act one way, then edit the code, but not change anything related to the comp, and it would behave differently. There are definately some comp issues in the current version.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Roy

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
Hi Rich,

Attached is the file as posted from my cam system  OneCNC XR, This file will run fine on my Haas at work, but under mach has the probs as mentioned before.

If I load up mach, then load up this file, all goes well, moves to start point, (G00 X-34.369 Y26.432) Plunges in as requested, but when it gets to the G41 line it goes off in a diaganol movement to some strange position and just seems to keep going until i stop it! .However if I load another file then run that, then come back and re-load this file. It seems to work fine!!

Now I am puzzled?????

Thanks, Roy

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:05:06 AM »
What version of Mach are you using? It appears to run OK in 3.42.020. I've een what you describe in some older versions.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Roy

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »
I am using the 2.63 lockdown version, I see the 3.42.020 is now lockdown, so should I be using this now?

Thanks Roy
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »
Roy, I doubt the problems you are having are related to an underspec PC, it sounds like a cutter comp problem that some Mach releases are known to have, perhaps some one else can speak on whether they have been fully eliminated from the current lockdown version.

Regarding switching to the new version of Mach3 with your underspec PC, I'm in the same boat, I'm using a 667Mhz system to run an early 3.0 version of Mach and I'm concerned about whether it will have enough beans to run the lastest lockdown version. I asked Brian about this and he claimed that the newest version uses less CPU than at least the version I'm running, which was a release that came shortly after the 2.63 lockdown version you are are running.

I'd like to hang on to my current PC if possible, its been very reliable running Mach. If the current "new" lockdown continues to look good (as it does now, the bug reports in the forum seem pretty low) I'm going to be swapping to it to see what happens. I'm going to keep a backup copy of my current Mach folder in case I need to go back to the earlier version.

I'm probably going to make the swap in a week or 2, I'm waiting for a replacement lube hose to come in for my machine, after I make the swap I'll post the results back here. Please post back how it goes for you if you make the swap in the short time.

Paul T.

Offline Roy

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »
Paul,

I have gone to the latest lockdown now, and at the moment, just cutting air the cutter comp seems to be working. None of the strange happenings I was having before anyway. I probably wont be machining anything until next week (when I have orderd material!). Then I will try out again.

Cheers Roy