Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:21:48 AM

Author Topic: m6 tool change issues and button script issue (rewind button)  (Read 7075 times)

m6 tool change issues and button script issue (rewind button)
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
i seem to be having trouble using the tool change option.  when i first load Mach 3 and home the machine everything seems fine.  then i load my program and go to touch off tool 1 using just a peice of .003 shim stock.  after doing this do i need to rehome the machine?  i already have my offsets set i'm using g55.  when i go to run the program my third line is T01 M6 and it seems that mach gets stuck here and moves the z axis for some reason.  sometimes it wants to go up and most of the time it wants to go down and plow through the table.  when i hit stop and then rewind the z offset changes from the tool offset to what i assume is back to tool zero.  but when i go to run the program again it again does the same thing and hangs up on line 3 T01 M6. 

i haven't modified the standard m6 start and m6 end macros.  and i have the box checked under the config for stop spindle wait for cycle start which is what i want.  any ideas here would be great.

thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: m6 tool change issues and button script issue (rewind button)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »
Not sure as I dont use tool offsets on the mill as I dont have a changer and its easier just to wind the knee or if possible keep tools the same length in the holder. What offset do you have for tool 1 in the tool table? Do you have a G43 H* in the code?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:30:26 AM »
the offset for T1 is -14.653" i have about 16" travel and my home switch as at the top of the axis.  yes my next line calls up g43 H1 but it never gets there it gets stuck on T1 M6

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
think you need a G44 if its a negative offset in the tooltable.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
the problem comes in when the program gets stuck on line 2 which is the T1 M6 command.  its not even reading G43 yet. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »
Thought you said the axis was starting way down? if it is then thats because you have a negative offset in the tooltable and the G43, try changing it to a G44 and I am thinking it will run through ok, maybe not but just what I am thinking.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »
ok after trying and trying i can get it to work.  btw it is a g43 not a g44.  for some reason after the tool change which is m6 start. sometimes it still wants to go down and sometimes it will want to go up.  so i think the issue lies in M6 end.  i know there is something called safe z in m6 end.  i don't know what this is and i don't know what it thinks is safe z.  on my professional cncs i can set a safe z. plane.  i would really like to understand what is happening here.  also is there a way for it to rapid back to the start poiint of the tool change? 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
Safe Z is a user settable option, the M6 macro may well be telling it to go to the safe Z if you have it enabled. You can set the safe Z as machine coords or Work Coords or even an incremental position.
 I still think the problem is you have a negative offset in the tooltable and you are using G43 rather than G44, It certainly seems to say that in the G Code list. Whether it is dependant on your safe Z setting I dont know.
Oh the safe Z setup is from the config menu.
Hood

Offline Roy

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »
I had similar problems with my machine on the toolchange.  (Manual toolchange)
What I did to overcome this was modify the M6end macro. I don't know if this is the correct way around it but I just deleted all bar the first line of the macro and now it works fine.

Roy
1986 Denford Triac Mill running on Mach 3 Via CNC4PC breakout board.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
i thought about doing that.  i ultimately thought that the safe z position should be in m6 start. and then everything else in m6 end.   correct me if i'm wrong but i'm not familiar with how mach uses m6 start and m6 end.