Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:06:00 AM

Author Topic: setting a permanent home point  (Read 18552 times)

Offline vlmarshall

•  23 23
  • G28 G91 X0 Y0
    • View Profile
Re: setting a permanent home point
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
Ref All Home? It doesn't seem to do anything other than zero the DROs, and (I'll assume), set the machine's current position as Machine Home.

The 'GOTO Z' button causes strange jogging, I guess it's going back to Machine Home, but sometimes it just seems to head to a new location, and it NEVER moves Z first.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »
Go To Z will move to your current offset zero position, if you have a safe Z height set up then it will go to that first then move X and Y to Zero then move the Z down to zero.
 Ref All button will set the position you are at as machine CoOrds zero if you do not have any Home switches set up, if you have home switches then it will do as I mentioned in the last post.
 What exactly are you wanting to do?
Hood

Offline vlmarshall

•  23 23
  • G28 G91 X0 Y0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
I guess I just need to stop trying to run this thing and get home switches installed in it.
I haven't really spent enough time learning Mach's oddities, I keep trying to get it to run like a Haas.
Nothing seems to work like I expect.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
You could probably get Mach to run like a Haas if you wanted to, you can quite easily add VB buttons to the screen and have all sorts of things happen.
Hood

Offline vlmarshall

•  23 23
  • G28 G91 X0 Y0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »
I'm just used to having a tool offset page, and a work offset page, listing all of the offsets available and the distances from machine home for each of them.
I guess I'll figure out Mach eventually.

I don't know how to program in VB.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 06:52:58 PM »
I don't know how to program in VB.
Neither do I but I muddle through when the need arises :)
Hood
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 08:40:38 PM »
:D :D D,

Youve been "muddling" pretty good from what I've seen.  ;)

Ed   :D
Ed VanEss
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »
I guess I just need to stop trying to run this thing and get home switches installed in it.
I haven't really spent enough time learning Mach's oddities, I keep trying to get it to run like a Haas.
Nothing seems to work like I expect.

If you don't understand how Mach deals with Home, zeros, and the different coordinate systems, adding home switches is not going to make it any less mysterious.  You *really* need to understand how Mach does these things to make good use of it.  Once you do, adding home switches may, or may not, add value for you.  I used my two machines for years with no home switches.  Now that I have them, I like them, but they are a convenience, not a necessity.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline vlmarshall

•  23 23
  • G28 G91 X0 Y0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 10:13:18 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what Mach is doing with the offsets. Since they have no steady Machine Zero to reference from, I feel like I'm getting different results with the offset buttons every time I hit one.
My earlier problem was that I thought the button marked "GOTO Z" was trying to return the mill to Machine Home.

The 'Abnormal Condition' blinking light is annoying, the edgefinder diagram on the offsets page seems like a waste of space, as are the TWO Tool Offset buttons with 'Gauge Block Height' settings. Those last two features seem like they're aimed at non-machinists.
I'd rather have the Work Offset and Tool Offset lists onscreen.

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:30 AM »
vlmarshal,

Go with the home switches like Hood suggest. With home switches your work coordinates will be right on ,day after day.
Most VMC's won't do anything until they're homed. AND, They can prevent DISASTERS.  >:(
My opinion, home  (limit)  switch's are as important as an E-stop.

Ed
Ed VanEss