Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:58:16 AM

Author Topic: setting a permanent home point  (Read 18551 times)

setting a permanent home point
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:00:12 AM »
Is it possible if I can set a permanent home point in Mach3 so whenever I cut on my machine it will always start there pls let me know how I go about it Im asking this because I want to mill a big L on the one side of the table making it easier to line up material on the bed and therefore I need that permanent home point

Re: setting a permanent home point
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:20:50 AM »
That is the purpose of home switches.  Without home switches, you have to position the machine to your 'zero' point manually each time you turn it on, and zero the machine position DROs.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:09:22 AM »
Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply.
So in theory it should go to the same point everytime I home it, but is there a setting I can use so I can set a permanent point say 10mm away from the zero home point, do I just tell it to drive off 10mm from the home switch or what.

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
Edmond
 I you close the controller down you really need to home your machine or chances are it will not go to the exact same point each time even if you have persistant DROs set. Now you dont have home switches but you can still home manually. What you want to do is jog to some sort of marks and then press Ref All button and you will now have a home position defined. How you make these marks and how you pick them up will depend how accurate you will be. Personally I would set up home switches, they are cheap and easy to install and saves all sorts of accuracy problems when trying to repeat a position day to day.
Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:39:45 AM »
After you install home switches, then yes, you can specify that "home" is anything you wish. Home doesn't have to be zero-zero.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »
Set the Home offset to -10, and your zero will be 10mm from the switch. Then, just home, and goto zero.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »
Thanks guys for the help.
I will set up home switches this weekend will normal cheap NC microswitches work ok.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 11:56:47 AM »
yes but depends the accuracy you need. If you can shield from chips optical switches work well and are deadly accurate, an OPB 917B is around £5 here $8 or so.

Hood

Offline vlmarshall

•  23 23
  • G28 G91 X0 Y0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
Can you set up Mach so it homes in a set order; Z axis first, and then X and Y, so hitting the Home button doesn't cause a high-speed dive through everything on the table?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »
The Ref All button is set to do that, it has Z first then Y then X then A if you have one. You can set it to any order you wish.
Hood