Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:47:37 AM

Author Topic: servo motor not getting up to speed  (Read 3051 times)

servo motor not getting up to speed
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »
I do not know if the subject makes sense but here is the issue.
Machine was running great.Using Larken viper 200 drives.I ran a few parts this morning
then set up for another job.Y axis works fine Z axis fine.X axis will not get up to speed
and if I try to jog with the buttons will go ahead then back then ahead then back meanwhile the
distance on the dro is adding up so that the table has jogged itself back and forward but moved very little.
I checked my settings .Checked power to the drives.The encoder is mounted on the screw and not on the motor.
What are the symtoms of a failing encoder?I checked the wiring on the encoder and it is good.Checked the wiring on the motor
Could the motor be failing ie bad brushes?Checked the coupling on the encoder.I need some ideas for morning.
Re: servo motor not getting up to speed
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:49:57 PM »
How far does the table move before reversing?  An encoder failure would most likely either run full speed in one direction, or just "dither" back and forth a very short distance (just a few encoder counts).  If it's moving any significant distance, the problem is much more likely to be either a failed drive, or a problem with the DIR signal.  I would first swap out the drive, and see if that fixes it.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
Re: servo motor not getting up to speed
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
the distance that the axis moves is random from nothing up to a couple of inches.
I guess the best way to test the dir signal would be to swap it over to another axis.
The drive is not showing any fault error.
I have similar drives on another machine so I'll try a swap as well.I also dug out a new
motor that has the encoder on it.Means some rewiring and connection modification .