Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:44:56 AM

Author Topic: 4th axis - show and tell - pictures  (Read 9030 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
4th axis - show and tell - pictures
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »
We started talking about 4th axis rigs in another thread and agreed to post pics when they were done. Finished mine today. Comments welcomed.

It works great and I used the indexer manually to make the timing pulley and then used the powered rig manually to grind a new Z axis ballscrew end down to .5", but I have not cut anything with the this finished CNC operated rig yet, so jury is still out on how tight it can hold azmuth during machining operations, but I'm hoping that for my purposes it will do fine.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: 4th axis - show and tell - pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:17:13 AM »
Looks like this is the wrong place for hardware discussion.

I don't know my around this community yet, but I do recognize this is a software forum, so can someone please point me to the best place to discuss the actual machine modifications?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »
Nice and simple 4th axis there Simpson, does it have bearings or is it plain bushes?
Oh the best place is probably the Show and Tell part of the forum.
Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
Neat setup you have there. We have the same indexer at work. Never thought of slapping a pulley on it and using it as a 4th axis. I might just have to implement this to my own machine.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing the pics.

Hood, those are usually a large honed "sleeve" and not really a bushing at all.

We also have one at work (Yuasa) that we use to spin down cutters for counterboring and such and I often wanted to put a small motor and belt on it -  ;D

Can't wait to get my 4th axis finished..... but of course then I'll have to learn how to use it, lol!!

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:26:47 AM »
Looks like this is the spot for machine mods. I can't wait to look through this topic!

I put needle roller thrust bearings front and back so I could run it with zero play for grinding cutteres, but the 'bearing' is just cast iron to cast iron, as it was. I put Mobil ! synthetic in it thru the locking screw hole on top. It's low RPM so I think it will be OK as is.

I plan to use it for sharpening, grinding OD of hard stuff, making pulleys and gears and perhaps single point threading.

My rotary table (now sold) would have been more accurate, but would rotate too slowly for what I need.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:02:07 AM »

I got a chance to use the 4th axis. The external threads were single pointed on the rig and the flats were also cut for the nut.

These parts are cut from 1.5" OD steel bar stock. Threads are 3/4-16  . .  quite a feat for a little X2  :o