Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:12:49 AM

Author Topic: Gear cutting  (Read 6581 times)

Gear cutting
« on: November 18, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »
Hi
I am new to CBC machining an need some help cutting gears or more precise - clock wheels. I have managed to set up the machine to cut gears but the problem is to get the exact dept of cut. When cutting clock wheels it is not so much the depth of cut that matter but that there is no flat on the tip of the tooth. Is there a easy way to toggle the dept in the first sett up before the whole gear is cut? Any Help will be much appreciated.

civtec

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Gear cutting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:38:03 AM »
Hi Civtec,

Are you profile cutting the gears or are you tooth cutting using a forth axis perhaps ?.

Regards, Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »
Hi Tweakie

I am using the forth axis and have managed to cut some gears, but it took a long time by trial and error to get the it right. Both the height or center height and the dept of cut was very difficult to get right. I am not a mechanic so I am st rugling. Is there a easy and/or right way to do this. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Regards
Sivtek

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:01:51 AM »
Hi Sivtec,

What I would do is this - Insert a shim between the cutter and work and bring the axis into contact, the shim will be vertical when the height is correct, zero the Z Axis. Now with a cigarette paper on the work and cutter running approach the work (X or Y Axis - which ever you are using for depth of cut) until the paper is touched, zero this axis.
Cut the first tooth and inspect, if necessary increase the depth using the axis scale function ( scale 1.100 for example) and when it looks correct then cut the remainder.

I apologize if this is too basic.

Regards, Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:35:12 AM »
Hi Tweakie CNC

Thanks for the answere it helped. But can you explain more abut "using the axis scale function"? Is that the DRO function or do I have to go back to the wizard? (I am using the Wizard cutting the gears).
Another question, can you instruct the "gearcutting wizard" to cut along the y- axis instead the x- Axis and if so how to do it?

Regards
Sivtek

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:43 AM »
Hi Sivtek,

Yes sir, I would use the DRO scale function to adjust the depth. (Type in 1.100 and press return as an example to increase the depth by 10%).
I have not used the 'gear cutting wizard' as I would, in preference, use a gear cutting tool (gear tooth profile) approaching the work from the side, as shown in the earlier diagram - so I can not be much help here.

Regards, Tweakie.
PEACE