Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:11:56 AM

Author Topic: ViaCad  (Read 15049 times)

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
ViaCad
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
I'm totally new to the CNC world. My interests has lead me to this site.

I have ViaCad V6 and have taken sometime with it, now I'm looking CAM. My interest is turning. I hope to pair all with Mach3 /LTurn in the future. Not looking for high dollar stuff, just a good reliable program highly compatible with the mentioned. Thanks!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: ViaCad
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:57:05 PM »
Hi TMan,
If your intersted in turning and want to try out of your software, why not practice some with it and post some profiles for testing. There is a thread on LazyTurn ( which is different than Lazy CamTurn ) just in the early making which you can fool around with.
Turning is also available in LazcamTurn which comes with Mach but requires a license for gcode generation. Lazycam turn will be replaced by Lazyturn. Hmm....... sounds like to many turns .
RICH

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
Thanks. Been doing a lot of reading. Much more to it than I expected, but, I'm all for a challenge!

Biggest hurdle I've got to cross at this time is a computer...my new laptop has no parrel port....so, I'm researching what can be done.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
One option would be to use the USB port using a Smooth Stepper ( SS ) or find a tower but suggest not one with on-board graphics because you "may" end up needing a SS.
RICH

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:37:59 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I don't think my new laptop would be a good choice. Vista done fine until the updates got to coming. It went from steady to very erratic...plus, I do have a lot of graphic stuff on it I need.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:14:08 AM »
TMAN
Take a look in FAQ thread as there are number of posts relating to computer requirements there.
RICH

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
Ok, made a solid piece on my ViaCad and exported as a dwg file V12. Tried to inport into lazycam. No dice. What am I missing? Do I need a CAM program to go along with lazycam?

I'm in the trial version of Mach3...

Would I be better of to go ahead and download lazyturn? Will lazyturn digest the dwg file from ViaCad?

Yeah, I'm new, and don't understand a lot of this stuff....BUT, I will!

Thanks!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
Lazyturn is just in the development stage but i would suggest you follow along and help out if you wish as it will
be a neat program and will replace LazycamTurn.

Lazycam Turn will only import a DXF file. Post the DXF file if you have a problem and i will take a look.
RICH

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »
Thanks Rich! I went back and made the file DXF. Still won't load. I get a message saying program not responging, send error report...

Wouldn't be suprised if the problem goes back to cad, being I'm still learning that too!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:23:01 PM by TMan »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »
Hi, TMan

Your dxf is 3-D, You need to draw the profile in 2-D for LCam to load it or use a Cad/Cam program to work with it as is.

edit: Draw it in std. X Y view, LazyTurn will post the G-code in X Z for turn/lathe use.

Chip
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:23:45 PM by Chip »