Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:25:10 AM

Author Topic: Z AXIS KNEE  (Read 25800 times)

Re: Z AXIS KNEE
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »
Ray,

Glad   ;D  your happy, Just make sure that knee Gib is properly adjusted. with the knee clamp off , and well lubricated. with 20w way oil.
If your happy with the Z rapids , That's a good thing, But I'm sure others will tell you it will wear after time. OIL-OIL- OIL.

Best of Luck
Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »
Hey Ed, Britt will be giving you stick about this when she sees it as her brother Brett has his Frankenstein using the knee. ;D

Hood
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »
Hey Brett

Lets hear about it.

Britt
Ed VanEss
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »
Isn't Britt short for BrittKnee ?
You better hold on to something Ed.
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
Isn't Britt short for BrittKnee ?
You better hold on to something Ed.
RC

Yes I believe it is RC, I also think she has two middle names as is common with  rednecks, if I remember correctly they are inda and edstones.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
Interesting thread.
 I considered driving the knee on my Atlas but chose the quill.
This is a 38 year old machine converted to CNC. Like echoed before, one of the pains of driving the quill
is mounting everything to head and the backlash must be dealt with. I used the sensitive feed adjustment
which happened to be activated by pulling out the handle thus i still have manual control if desired.
The knee like the x & y has a digital readout so setting position manually is rather easy if required.
But that's my nickle,
RICH

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
Ed, the Knee is painfully slow on mine, 30IPM. Considering what the mill is, it really isn't an issue except I'm impatient. As Hood said earlier, I'm planning on useing the quill on the hurco for the z and the knee for tool height compensation but I hopeing for 600 - 800 IPM rapids on all axis on it. The place a slow axis will kill you is doing 3d work. If all need to move equal amounts in the same amount of time, the slowest limits all. Actually that is true for any combo move. 

By now, you should know about Britts knee. Its the first bit of her leg that you see after she breaks her foot off in your *&%&*^%. You know you can't denie that happens quite often.  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 09:31:12 PM »
LOL   :D

600-800 ipm.? That's about the speed Britts leg was at when she put her foot up me arse.
But as far as seeing her knee goes. NO . It's somewhere under all the hair. ;D

But, as far as using the knee for tool length comp, that's a whole different story.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »
Ron G,

Very interesting web site you have. I like seeing neat workmanship, and its there.
I have plans for a 9 cyl radial engine, and some others I picked up at a model engine show in Detroit a few years ago,
but theres just not enough hours in a day. Need to get the Hyster done first.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »
My size 42 stepper drive BP sized CNC mill has Z on the quill, but my 55 year old back is tired of cranking the knee up and down so I'm adding an 1800 in-oz stepper motor to the knee also. I'll configure two start up files so I can use the knee for Z for heaving milling (quill locked) and the quill for Z for drilling, tapping, light milling.
So I'm going to have my cake and eat it too.

Ray L., I'd like to put some gas springs on my knee like you did, to you have any model numbers and the supplier info for the ones you bought?

Thanks,

Paul T.