Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:02:44 AM

Author Topic: Tool Path not displaying correctly  (Read 4950 times)

Tool Path not displaying correctly
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:20:33 PM »
I just converted my cnc machine to use mach3 instead of Ah Ha! and tried to cut my first part last night but when I ran a dry run above the material, I noticed the part was cutting much larger than I had it programmed for. The cut was a .390" circle and the tool moved around about a 2.000" circle. I also noticed the graphical representation of the tool paths (in the upper right hand corner) is not like the the tool paths in my cam program. In mach3 it shows the 3 tool paths as 3 circles at three seperate center locations starting close to the center and moving a small amount to the left for each circle. My version, in geopath and my verify program show all 3 circles have the same center location and the part cuts perfectly in the simulator. (I am trying to cut one of those nested cubes)

Thanks,
Devin

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Path not displaying correctly
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:34:06 PM »
Have you checked to see if the machine is moving the correct amount by MDI

e.g.

In MDI dro enter

G92 X0 Y0 Z0
G00 X1.

this will zero out the machine at what ever point it is at and then move 1 inch in the plus direction

You may be loosing steps on the rapids or high feeds, that can make thing get out of place.

If its moving ok then if you post the file(s) I will have a look.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Hood

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:52:56 PM »
Had similar problems when I first started and Art solved it for me. Cant remember exactly what it was but I think it was a setting in the state page (from config menu) If I remember correctly all I had to do was change to Inc in the IJ/mode setting, or possibly change the distance mode to absolute.
Hood
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 04:54:27 PM by Hood »
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:00:30 PM »
Have you checked to see if the machine is moving the correct amount by MDI

Graham.

Graham,
I used the MDI and measured it with a DTI and all seems to be correct.

Devin
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »
Had similar problems when I first started and Art solved it for me. Cant remember exactly what it was but I think it was a setting in the state page (from config menu) If I remember correctly all I had to do was change to Inc in the IJ/mode setting, or possibly change the distance mode to absolute.
Hood

I will play around with those settings and see if it helps.

Devin
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:12:45 PM »
Hood,
That was it. Changed the setting to inc and all is well.

Thanks,
Devin