Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:07:20 AM

Author Topic: Motor Lock Up with New G201's  (Read 5931 times)

Motor Lock Up with New G201's
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
I am having trouble running my CNC router.  I recently replaced the existing Prodrive 2000 motor drivers with new G201's. I understood that they are pretty much interchangeable save the disable feature on the G201 pin 7 needing a ground.  The connections were simple since the G201 and Prodrives use the same terminal connectors all I had to do is pull off the connector and install it on the new drive (no wiring issues).  The prodrives use the same current set resistor values as the G201 and the power supply output reads 48 volts as expected.  Both drives are 10 microstep stepper drives so I think that the Mach 2 settings for the motor tuning should be the same.
However, now when I try to JOG, I see movement in the DRO but the motors do not move.  When the motor drives are off the motors can be turned by hand but when I turn the system on they are locked up tight so my guess is that the drives are working.  I think that my Mach 2 setup is good since it used to work with the Prodrives but now the motors just lock up.

Any idea on how to get this working?

Thanks,
Steve
Regards,
Steve

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."

- Batman costume warning label, Wal-Mart, 1995

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Lock Up with New G201's
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »
Steve,
Just recheck that the step and direction are set for "lowactive" in motor outputs.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
Are you running the drives directly from the parallel port? Apparently that can be an issue with geckos. There is not always enough grunt form the parallel port for them to work properly. That may be a load of B.S. I just remember reading that on someone’s website who was selling breakout boards.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »
Rich, the low actives are selected.
Woolex, it is being driven by the parallel port as was the the old prodrive setup. Since it ran before I don't that this is the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Steve

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
That is not necessarily a valid assumption.  They may both have opto-coupled inputs, but they are not necessarily biased the same, and the Gecko may require more current from the PP to activate the opto than your old drives.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 04:19:56 PM »
Hmmm... I wonder how I can check the parrallel port for this.
Regards,
Steve

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
Check the voltage levels at the Gecko STEP/DIR pins.  They should be swinging from very close to 0V to very close to 5V.  If either is not get close to its ideal level, then you've found your problem.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:18:56 AM »
what do I do if the output from the PP is less than 5v?
Regards,
Steve

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 02:10:17 PM »
Look like I have a 3.3 volt motherboard.  I guess I need a break out board that will accept the 3.3 volts and output the 5 volts that the Gecko's need.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Regards,
Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 02:16:32 PM »
I use PMDX122 breakouts, bit more expensive than some but quality is not compromised.
Hood