Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:46:23 AM

Author Topic: True Spindle Speed  (Read 4266 times)

True Spindle Speed
« on: November 01, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »
Im am a newbee

I have electronic encoder with 1000 timing pulses and a index pulse connected to my lathe spindle
i connected 5 v to 5v, massa to massa, index pulse  to pin 15 timing pulse to 13
I see on my breakoutboard the led when i hit the index point en flashing when the spindle turns
But i see nothing in the True spindle speed DRO's now and then i see a value and after 1 second i go's back to 0

What do i wrong is there some other parameter i have to alter

With friendly greetings

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: True Spindle Speed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:28:09 AM »
The index pulse from an encoder is more than likely too short a duration to be picked up over the parallel port.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »
Thank you for the quick response

I use this configuration in a former program called PCdreh and that is also working with the parallel port and there it working well
i thought that i need this also for threading but than i have to use the timing pulse
I did not try to make a treading but i think there will be problems also what is the best sensor i can use with mach3

greetings Gerard

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »
You should use the Index Input if its a single pulse per rev. For the timing input you need several pulses per rev and one has to be longer than the other.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:09:55 AM »
Here is a clip from the manual....found under Support/Documentation at the top of this page.
RC

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:10:29 AM »
Gerard,
Take a look in Mach III Turn manual page 4-12. It gives info about the spin index pulse.
Threading has come a long way / been fixed in the latest development version and spindle readout
works better than ever ( for me anyway using a single slot ).
Backlash in your lathe axis's dosn't provide for good threading. Just thought i would mention that.
RICH