Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:28:56 PM

Author Topic: Setting up a second machine  (Read 4158 times)

Setting up a second machine
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »
I've been trying to set up a cnc lathe running the mach3 program and have run into a problem. I can't seem to find where to tune the motors for the second machine. I've been running Mach 3 for two years on a Taig mill using stepper motors and a xylotex drive system. The new system uses servo motors and Phelps argon servo drives. Are the motor tuning settings for Mach3 global or is there a way to tune the second set of motors separately?

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
Re: Setting up a second machine
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
servo motors are usually adjusted from the servo drive amplifiers either by their own software setup , or presets etc , then adjust mach3 to suit the drive amplifiers

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 04:55:49 PM »
ahhh,

I think what he is asking is this: how do I run two seperate machines with one mach3?

You will need 2 profiles, one for each machine, you then decide which one you want to use and load that profile...

I did this with my Old Shoptask, (combo Lathe Mill), and I would just switch profiles depending on what function I wanted.

scott
fun times
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:31:34 AM »
thanks poppabear, that is exactly what I need. Now, can the motors be tuned in each of the profiles?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »
Yes, each profile is totally independant of the other. You can have as many profiles as you wish, this is often handy for testing out new things as you can swap settings around as much as you like and if things dont work out you just close that and open up your normal profile and you are back to where you were.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »
I set up another profile and can now set the motor tune how it needs to be. Now for the next question, has anyone out there set up Mach with the Phelps CNC Argon servo drive? I can get everything to power up but can't get the motors to respond to the commands I'm sending. I took the cable from the xylotex board that was running my stepper motors on my taig so I know those settings work. I think the step/ direction pulses are being received as the motor dithering slows when I send a command to move, but the motor won't make any movement beyond calming the dithering. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:43:39 PM by randol »