Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:43:44 PM

Author Topic: Synchronising Motors  (Read 7599 times)

Synchronising Motors
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »
Hi
I want to have two motors driving on the one axis, I understand these have to be synchronised and this is done in Mach. can someone please step me through it or give me a link to how its done.
Jimbo

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Synchronising Motors
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »
Jimbo, give us more detail please. Is this a gantry router with motors on each side of the gantry?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »
Bret,
Yes it is a Gantry It is going to be Joe's 4x4 Hybrid I am at the planning stage but I have never dealt with the twin motors before.
Jim
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:38:07 PM »
Sorry yes the motors are at each side of the gantry.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:47:42 PM »
Jimbo, It should be as simple as slaveing the motors for the axis. For example, X master and a slave. This is done in config, ports and pins.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »
Brett,
OK so do you use two controllers?
And lets say the axis is Y then you go to slave and under the Y axis you call the other motor say X and thats it.
(Sorry I am describing the slave thing from memory. ) and then whatever speed etc. settings you have set up for the Y is transferred to the X at the same time ?
Have i got it right.
Jim
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
You would slave the a, b, or c axis to the x axis. The slave axis motor would need its own driver. And yes, provided you have the motor tuning correct (most likely you would have identical motors, drivers, and tuning on the x and slave axis).
Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:16:29 AM »
Sounds simple enough, the only confusing pare here is knowing what axis to nominate to the X Axis. Like how do you know what to use as in A,B, or C axis.
This is probibly simpler that I think, i just cant get to grips with the Slave axis. with normal axis it is easy as you set up the tuning etc to the axis and the config to the axis and its easy to know what is what.
Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:58:35 AM »
You can choose whichever axis you want from A, B anc C to slave with X, Y or Z. Obviously you cant slave an axis more than once but any combination of X,Y,Z and A,B,C will be fine

Hood
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:04:20 AM »
Hood
I think I am not explaining this correctly, I know how to identify my XY and Z Axis and set them up, you say I can use A,B and C to slave with A,Y And Z. Lets say its the Y axis and I select A to slave with it. Now how do I set up A in config so that the motor knows what direction to turn etc. I have not seen a config for the A axis in mach. mind you I am working from memory just now at work but if I know where the set up for A is It should clarify all.
Jim