Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:18:20 AM

Author Topic: changing feed rate during direction changes  (Read 6608 times)

Re: changing feed rate during direction changes
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
Generally, CV is best for free form or artistic stuff, while Exact Stop is needed when the part must be exactly the shape drawn, no corner rounding off is allowed. You are not likely to get tool marks at the turns, since the stop is extremely brief, but Mach will use the acceleration rate as its tuned to do.

Also the stops are usually at places like sharp corners where you must make a right angle turn.

There are tuning parameters on CV so you can adjust it so it does smooth curves when they are gentle, but does the stop when the angle between moves is sharp.

There was a recent doc put up by Art that defined some of the CV params and their effect. I know it was on the Yahoo group, I think its also here somewhere.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
I will definitely be giving it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out, but from the way you describe it, it should be just what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Ryan
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »
Well, exact stop mode did the trick! After searching for CV parameters I actually found quite a bit of info on this subject. Just didn't use the right terminology when searching previously. I also tried CV mode with "stop at angle" set to 90 and it worked fairly well also. Buzzed right around the arcs and stopped at the right angles. Still not as precise as exact stop mode but much better than just plain CV that I was running. Thanks again for your help!

Ryan