Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:48:35 AM

Author Topic: hi !  (Read 2853 times)

hi !
« on: October 18, 2008, 10:35:31 AM »
hi all!

already having an small cnc machine (proxxom mf70) and cnc3ax power board, actually using JL Soumard's cnc3axes  v2.03 software I am looking forward to use mach on this machine, on the myford lathe and on the new router in construction.

so, I am looking to a new cnc software... maybe I should find a newer computer and use dual boot ...

since the PC is running W98 for compatibility with cnc3axes (it is a 1.3GHz pIII) I suppose mach3 will not run in that config... mayybe mach 2?

regards from belgium

sourisbulle

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: hi !
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
You will need windows 2000, XP or Vista to use Mach. You could of course install one of these as a dual boot with W98 until you know whether you are going to go with Mach or stick with your current control.

Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: hi !
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »
If you are looking for a progressive way of upgrading, then a "newer" computer would be the thing. I would keep your old computer to run your present system for the time being.

Although Mach will run with Vista, I don't know how it performs, so look through the forum on Vista and see what you think. I use XP and it is fine.

A second hand computer running windows XP (with USB 2.0) would probably be as good, and cheaper. (Dont bother with the dual boot).  If I were setting up Mach now, I would use a Smooth Stepper. The advantage is that all the connections between the computer and the lathe/mill come through a USB connection. You can, therefore, change machines in an instant, and if you are looking to control three machines all from the same computer, this would be simpler. Mach can run seperate versions, each tailored to a particular machine, with seperate settings for each machine.

Start with your Myford, then your router, and finally, when these two are working, buy a Smooth Stepper for the old machine, and upgrade that.

Is this a hobby type shop, or professional - I had a Myford, but I have a Warco now - it is great with CNC.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.