Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:47:20 AM

Author Topic: Rogers Encoder board  (Read 4948 times)

Rogers Encoder board
« on: October 18, 2008, 08:34:25 AM »
I have a Rodger's encoder board installed. It is set for a .010 following error and when the compressor kicks on the board goes into reset and stops my machine. I have taken every precaution in my wiring of the control box to eliminate noise. I have two independently different setups, one with air spindles the other with  electric. The Colombo(elec.) runs perfect with no issues. but when the Air turbine spindles call for air and the compressor kicks on, system goes into reset. Any help or direction to a cure would be most appreciated.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers Encoder board
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
dishawcures,
Trying to add some logic to the problem at a high level.
1. Since you have a change in state, it's simply a control issue / setting and what is different from
    the Colombo, which would initiate the program to go into reset. ie one works the other dosn't
   / software side of it
2. From an electrical point of view, the compressor kicks in maybe 1.5 to 2x of current draw, 
    so surge in the electrical field / noise / grounding / common circuits / feedback into the board
    ( mimic the compressor turning on such that you can deternine if it's a matter of intensity )
    ( swap the inputs from devices between boards )

Don't know if above makes any sense for you,
RICH

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:27:50 AM by RICH »

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
Rogers says that the biggest problem is noise. 

#1) So, I'd guess that your compressor gives off said noise, or

#2) The compressor causes a spike in the juice and something (controller, motors, etc) is reacting to it, causing the board to catch the error.  Turn your following error up to something crazy like 1.00  Then run the machine and cause the compressor to come on.  If it stiill resets, you could rule out suggestion #2

-Nick
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:15:34 AM »
Thanks for the advise, I will try an larger following error in the config. Just off the top of head if i do that change and my servos are not following the DRO's to within a responsible spec, my parts will not be accurate.  Control box, compressor and CPU are all on separate circuits. My thoughts are to have a line conditioner on the control box that regulates voltage when the compressor spike occurs. Does that sound reasonable?  I must be losing steps on the gecko drives. Its a big 3 phase Ingorsol Rand compressor and when it kicks on the lights in the shop dim ever so  slightly.

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
Thanks for the advise, I will try an larger following error in the config. Just off the top of head if i do that change and my servos are not following the DRO's to within a responsible spec, my parts will not be accurate.

True, if there is a problem with your machine.  Remember, that the closed loop plugin is only supposed to catch an error.  I only meant to turn it up for a test. 

Control box, compressor and CPU are all on separate circuits. My thoughts are to have a line conditioner on the control box that regulates voltage when the compressor spike occurs. Does that sound reasonable?  I must be losing steps on the gecko drives. Its a big 3 phase Ingorsol Rand compressor and when it kicks on the lights in the shop dim ever so  slightly.

I dont know anything about line conditioners or anything like it, myself.  I plug my controller into a battery backup for a PC (www.apcc.com), to accommodate for small glitches in the power... like my air compressor.  I'm not saying 'go buy one', but if you happen to have one around the house, you might drag it out to the shop and give it a try.

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:57:24 AM »
you say when the compressor kicks in , your  lights dim 
well theirs your clue , on top of that make sure you have suppressors fitted to the motor on the compressor , you may find the motor is requiring attention or a service too

it looks as if your main power line or internal wiring to the compressor and or other parts of the shop is not able to offer sufficent current for the demands or your cable cross section is not large enough so your voltage drops , the voltage drops and more sensitive equipment in the shop picks it up .

you could try hooking up the compressor directly to your main fuse box on it's own circuit ( use at least 4mm2 ) cable

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:17:58 AM »
Motor suppressor ?? please explain. Do you think an APC will work? The compressor is new so it can't be that, and it has a dedicated line to the service panel.
as does the control box. the size of wire is code. thanks for the in.put