Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:08:58 AM

Author Topic: Smooth stepper with C25 breakout board  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Repmo

•  54 54
    • View Profile
Smooth stepper with C25 breakout board
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:53:05 PM »
Hello :)

I 'am just remplaced G100 on my milling by smooth stepper,

first :  I will like had more information about the  input/output pins,  it was automatic setup to input or output ??  how mach 3 know if it was input or output ?
can I use this input/output pis to control input/output pin I had on my G320 drive for reset/eneble pin ?

second :  I'am not sure about the use of 4 resistor I need to install on SS.... it was only for the encoder input ? can I use without this resistor ?

tanks
fred

;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth stepper with C25 breakout board
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
The Inputs and Outputs mimick the parallel port and you set them up in exactly the same manner by choosing Port number ( 1 or 2) and the pin you want to use. You can, just like the parallel port use Port 2 pins 2-9 as Inputs and you choose that option in the SmoothSteppers config page.
 You can also use Port 3 on the SmoothStepper and you can use its pins not only for encoders but also as general inputs.
Hood

Offline Repmo

•  54 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »
ok i was find in firmware setup

i was first try yesterday and it seem to work very good, very simple to setup

in the manual, you say that i need to install 4 resistor for encoder input..... can you give me information how to ajust this, and why i need this resistor

tanks
fred

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Sorry cant help with the resistors, cant remember the reason Greg said you might need them, probably best to email Greg to ask or maybe someone else will chime in.
Hood

Offline Repmo

•  54 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 01:33:46 AM »
On the machine I install smoothstepper, I had 2 potentiometer for ajust feed rate and spindle rate %,

do you know what i can use for my analog input ?

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:52:29 AM »
The resistors are to reduce ringing on the Differential encoder input I think.   You may or may not need them.  I have not used them for the Heidenhain encoder I have connected to smoothstepper.

Analogue inputs will have to be interfaced another way, via PLC or similar I use and recommend the Cubloc PLC's.   Though the Pokeys now has A>D inputs.

I take it you are retrofitting a commercial machine??

Wayne......

Offline Repmo

•  54 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:42:31 AM »
I retrofit Jafo milling,

I had first installed G-100, the g100 run good but I had problem to connect, the G100 don't stop to reboot and I'am not able to fix problem.....  I had remove this to install Smoothstepper.....

the cubloc seem butiful,   the cubloc change analod to digital pulse frequency ?? and I connect it in my smoothstepper ?
how can I setup it in the mach3 ?

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »
For the Cubloc  See my thread at http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1105.130.html

Some others here have used it too with great success.

It connects to the rs232 port on your PC and mach communicates via Modbus to control it.   On my Hardinge lathe it controls most of the machine.

Wayne......