Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:26:11 AM

Author Topic: RESCALING  (Read 4906 times)

RESCALING
« on: October 07, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »
I am a novice, let that be a warning. I recently upgraded my Mach software with much help from this group. today I ran my machine off of gcode developed from sheetcam. I am in the middle of trying to configure the machine.

So I made a cad drawing brought it into sheetcam which made the G code which in turn was introduced into mach3.I ran the machine and cut an "air" piece. I would like to increase the size of the piece, rescale it that is I have no idea how to do this or for that matter where it should be done .should it be done in the orignal drwaing ,sheetcam or mach3 . Perhaps it is all three but the most efficient way would be nice.....Any help appreciated sorry for the rather rudimentary question

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: RESCALING
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:21:06 AM »
Mike, My first choice would be in the original drawing. You can scale in Mach as well. If your using the default mach screen set their are tiny scaleing DROs to the right of the larger DROs on the program run page. Just click in them and enter a scaleing factor.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:38:15 AM »
the original drawing that was done in turbocad and then brought into sheetcan was about 10"+ long.The drawing was brought into mach3 in the form of Gcode.into my machine [joe's 2006 machine] . the hardware box driving the machine is the Hobbycnc 4 axis system [only 3 axis currently running] .I have the steppers running on 1/2 step mode, the steppers are directly connected to the jackscrewswhich in turn are 10 TPI. So the value for 1 " travel is as follows according to me ..10[revs per inch]* 200[steps /rev  =

2000* 2[1/2 step] =4000/inch.

well I ran the machine and the result is minute.So I rescaled the x and y axis using the scales next to the DRO by a factor of 6 .still the result was very small. perhaps 1 1/2" to 2" at most . Perhap my figures are incorrect ,I checked the jumpers ..Anyone see any faults or reasons why the size is not at least close to 10"......regards mjh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 02:15:27 AM »
is there a G21 in your code? What does the axis travel say in your code as you should see if the code is telling it to move the 10 inches.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:44:36 AM »
Are those the codes listed at the top of the desktop, ? if so no there is no G21 listed .

If this is incorrect then I will check each line . mjh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 10:13:26 AM »
It would be listed at the top but would also be in your code. You dont want that however as that is to change the units to metric, you want G20 there. I was just thinking maybe your GCode was set in metric and thats why your part was so small.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »
Just checked all the code . there is a G20 [third line] also a G40 and lots of G00s and G01s .the strange thing the name is comming out back to front such as this LEAHCIM instead of MICHAEL....the scaling values next to the DRO to try and increase the size [X and Y axes only] are not negative. [mirror].
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »
I just tried jogging the machine for an indicated distance of 10 inches ,the actual distance moved was 2 1/2 inches. Next I went back to "motor tuning " which was set correctly [in my opinion] at 2000 and changed the figure to 8000. I  retried a 10 inch indicated travel and the result was the same 2 1/2 inches actual . cannot seem to figure this one out. any help appreciated

PS the scale vaues in the DRO are all set at  1.00.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
please attach your xml and I will have a look and see if I can see any problems.
Hood

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 03:47:59 AM »
I just tried jogging the machine for an indicated distance of 10 inches ,the actual distance moved was 2 1/2 inches. Next I went back to "motor tuning " which was set correctly [in my opinion] at 2000 and changed the figure to 8000. I retried a 10 inch indicated travel and the result was the same 2 1/2 inches actual . cannot seem to figure this one out. any help appreciated

PS the scale vaues in the DRO are all set at 1.00.

Mike,

Sounds like you didn't save the 8000 setting, you need to click the save settings button and then the OK button, give it a shot and recheck your motion again.  I have been using Sheetcam now for a while and not had any problems IF the DXF is good and my initial scale is good.

Kristin