Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:57:55 PM

Author Topic: Cant run program in Metric units  (Read 3459 times)

Cant run program in Metric units
« on: September 23, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »
Hi all, newbie here.

I have a large program I generated with MeshCAM 4megs of g-codes that when I load into Mach3 I cannot get the motors to run in mm's.  I've set the units on the settings tab to mm, saved the config under the config menu dropdown (don't know what I saving here exactly).  First Z move is to 47.10, the motor starts moving up then slams into the limit switch at about 1.5 (inches).  I tried putting a G21 at the top of the code with no luck.  What am I missing?  Either the program is confusing Mach3 or I have another issue somewhere?  Can someone point me in the correct direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Will

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Cant run program in Metric units
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »
OK you only change the units from the config menu if you are set up in metric. If your steps per are imperial you must use imperial there, if they are mm you must use mm.
 If you are set in imperial and wish to run metric code you make sure the code has G21 in it, opposite if you are set up in metric and want to use Imperial code, you make sure your code has a G20.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:40:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  What's puzzling to me is that I have other programs I created with MeshCAM that were output in metric units that work as they should, same for imperial.  I'm certain that it is something that I have or am doing that is causing my problem.  I will dig through the known good metric program and compare it as far as I can with the one tht isn't working to see if there is something there that might explain what's going on.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »
The only thing that should change between metric and imperial is G21 and G20, make sure there are no G20's in your code and make sure it has G21.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:32:22 AM »
You were right, but you already knew that........  Thanks