Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:48:20 AM

Author Topic: Stepper working was fine and now its not????  (Read 4251 times)

Stepper working was fine and now its not????
« on: September 22, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »
New to posting here, but have been reading for a while, you guys are Great!!  Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.  I am building a router/plasma table.  I have a dtllc driver with 1/2 steps.  My x and y were moving fine and I did a few test runs with a maker and had good results.   I have two steppers slaved in Mach (A & X).   Today the A stopped working,  Mack was sending signals and the motor had power,  but it just sat there and vibrated.   I check all my connections and every thing seemed fine.   Then it worked.   About 30 min later both A and X quit,  doing the same thing.   I am at a complete loss.  any help would be great.

Thanks

Tom

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Stepper working was fine and now its not????
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »
Ok, I'm not a pro at this but I do recall a bad power supply creating the same problems after heating up and staring to die and would fluctuate it's supply.

I've also known computers to give the same effect as well when their power supplies are ready to die, so possibly that might be something to look into?

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »
Tesart,

One question - Are the motors getting hot to the touch ?.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »
They are warm but not hot.  It seems to be EMFs from the plasma.  I shielded everything and ground it to a ground stake.  and it was working fine,  then it did it again.  I don't have the body of the plasma cutter grounded to the stake and my drivers/power supplies are not in a metal box.  Hopefully I'll if I do these 2 things it will help.

Thanks

Tom