Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:58:41 PM

Author Topic: Circular pocket shout out  (Read 7945 times)

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
Circular pocket shout out
« on: June 12, 2006, 03:08:25 PM »
Not sure why but after a few different attempts and different sizes,the 'circular pocket' wizard seems to construct a small 'flat' at the extreme 'Y' positions (it may be doing this throughout the spiral but not sure. Looking at the code all looks well but I wonder if it is because the 'R' command is used in place of a g interpolation; I had heard that the 'R' command works out better for arcs than it does for complete 360 degree moves but I can't substantiate that. Regular circles work fine on my machine. Also,an 'H' command comes up,I'm unfamiliar with this command.-Keith

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Circular pocket shout out
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »
Hi Keith,

The flat could be cutter flex or backlash.

For your information :-

Circular holes can be cut very easy with the following commands.

Hole is at X0 Y0 with a radius of 1.000"

G00 X0 Y0                   (move to start)
Z-.1                            (move to Z depth)
G01 G41 X1. D(offset number for tool rad) F5. (move X pos+radius and use compensation)
G03 I-1.                      (do a full circle cut)
G00 G40 X0 Z1.           (rapid to X start and Z safe)
M30                           (end)

Graham.

Without engineers the world stops

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »
Hmmmm...right...backlash. My machine has a enough to go round. It's a Sherline and despite many attempts,I'm plagued by it (although it mostly gets thrown off by 4-5 thousandths or so,I still go nuts seeing the numbers off...I always make myself look at exactly what a thousandth is when bummed).Although why does it cut a circle properly but not a pocketed circle?(yeah I use g03/02, that you posted).-Keith

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
Doing a normal circle you only have 4 direction changes,  with a spiral pocket this is multiplied by the number of arcs cut, so the backlash is highlighted.  Also the cutter can be pulling and pushing the table at varying amounts as the circle gets bigger.

Graham.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 07:49:46 PM »
Try:
G13 I.5 F10

IF you have the flats it is time to start working on the mill :(  Check your gibs and see that you have good  nuts on the screws.

Hope we can help!
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 09:20:40 PM »
The gibs look okay,my concern is exactly how to adjust the backlash screws. Documentation on that is mighty slim in the Sherline documentations and talking to people there usually winds up with my pet peeve of everyone answering questions qualified by a pause and then..."I think". I've looked at that documentation so many times without really being able to figure it out. Anyone with a Sherline that has(fiured it out),please do enlighten me.
And hey,thanks for G13,I've been so engrossed in writing code 'long hand' that I never realized there was a direct call for any kind of pocket!-Keith

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 10:52:18 AM »
Posting for Graham who says:
if you modify your nut like this you can remove most of the backlash.

By putting two grub screws into the small holes and nipping them down
you can adjust the lash.
(You can view image here,I can't seem to be able to insert and image on the post):
http://www.lightlink.com/keith/Nut.JPG
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 03:04:20 AM »
I have this EXACTY same issue.  Nice little flat areas.  I've tried almost everything possible.  Making the cuts as small as .005 at a time.  Different size end mills.  Still makes me a nice flat spot on the extreme X positions.  Very frustrating.  I don't know if it's me, my router, or my code. 

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:22:46 AM »
Is the flat always the same length independent of the circle diameter, if it is then it sounds like backlash or movement in the gibbs, if it varies then it could be cutter pull/push.

If you use very high helix cutters this can help reduse pull.

Graham.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 04:55:34 AM »
I haven't tried the high helix cutters.  Good suggestion.

I think your right on with cutter push pull.  The gantries on routing tables don't like alot of torque applied lateral.  Not the most rigid for sure.