Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:31:05 PM

Author Topic: backlash comp under Mach2  (Read 3819 times)

backlash comp under Mach2
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:10 AM »
I have an RF-45 conversion that I picked up recently with very little use. It was built by Bohica Trading in 2006 I believe, and uses Reliance Electric servos (with Gecko drivers) rather than steppers. I am working on creating a config that will work with Mach3, but as delivered, I had a working config (and license) for Mach2. It did not come with a PC so I built up one of the spares I have lying around with 2GHz proc and 1.5GB RAM, running XP Pro sp3. I just got the machine moving yesterday and, after solving an issue with referencing the axes, was doing some tests. 3 axis G0 moves, circular interpolation, the thing seems to run great. I discovered .0045 backlash in both x and y axes. I added .0045 backlash comp in the "backlash" config dialog box, then enabled backlash comp in the "state" config dialog, and the x axis started oscillating and did not stop until I disabled backlash and closed/opened Mach2. Anybody ever seen this before? Is this an issue using axes motors with feedback? Are there other tuning options I can change to make software backlash comp work for me?

Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: backlash comp under Mach2
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
Mach is Open loop so whether using motors with feedback or just simple steppers backlash should affect things equally. I have never used Backlash comp and its been that long since I used Mach2 that afraid I cant remember much about it.
 Mach 3 has better Backlash comp from what I hear so might be best just to upgrade to Mach3. You dont have to buy a new licence as the same one is good for Mach3, just in cas4e ou thought you did ;)
 Another good reason to set up with Mach3 is most people use it so support will be easier to come by.
 You can also set up Mach3 and still keep Mach2 on your computer, the only thing you ccant do is try and run both at  teh same time.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
I have Mach3 installed and using the older license file. I have attempted as much as possible to configure the pinouts, directions, and whatnot, and I am a little hesitant to try it. It has been less than 24 hours since I got it moving under mach2. Maybe in a few hours I'll feel brave enough to try controlling it with Mach3.
Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
:)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
Yeah, I know, I know... will there be flames or explosions involved... if so, I'm in.

Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »