Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:28:21 AM

Author Topic: Limits HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4089 times)

Limits HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 11, 2006, 07:15:29 AM »
 ???
I just finished my mill conversion and installed Mach 3.  Limit switches are wired and working OK.
Here are my questions.  How do I set the limits for the table???  When I zero reference, the z goes to the top of the tower, as it should and the table moves to the far right and to the rear (toward the tower). 
My DRO has values other than zero so how do I reset those????
If I load a job (roadrunner), the job view is off the red square which indicates the table.  If I move the table so that the cross hairs are in the table are and reference, all appears well until I try to run the job.  Then one axis hits a limit switch and stops everything.  I have rescaled to .5 to try and get everything in the table area but the table still hits the limits.
Is there a tutorial or directions on how to do the initial setup???
All help is appreciated. 
I know I'm close and it's frustrating.  I've been working on this project for months but still need to learn a lot.
Thaks for the time.
billyjack
 ;D

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Limits HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 08:06:27 AM »
Hi,

normally the Y axis zero point is to the front of the machine and the X is with the table to its left most point.

If you go to Homing/Limits in the config menu you can reverse the homing direction and set the G28 values.

If you set G28 as X0, Y0, Z0 you then use G54 to position your work zero, this is on offset form zero return to the zero point on the job.

E.g. If you clock a hole on a part and look at the Machine DRO and it says X-5.5000 and Y-3.000 these are the values you enter into G54 offset.

I hope this helps, come back for more if not.

Graham.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:21:23 AM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops

Hood

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »
If I am understanding your problem heres what I suggest.
 Have a look in config>state and see if "persistant offsets" and  "Optional Offset Save" are checked. Then when you home (reference) your machine you can then jog to where you would like to set your g codes X0 Y0 Z0 position, once you get there then you zero the axis by pressing the X zero, y zero and z zero buttons, you have now set up an offset and when you regenerate the screen you should have your work where you want it. With having the optionional offset checked when you shut down Mach you will be asked if you want to save the fixture, if you say yes then on next start you do a reference of the axis and then press go to zero and you will be back to the same position as previously. If you then want to change the X0Y0Z0 position just jog and zero the axis.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 11:46:21 AM »
Billyjack,

Good advice from both Graham and Hood but, in case you are still stuck...  try this

http://www.machsupport.com/videos.htm

There is an excellent video tutorial on Homing and limits.  23 mins of your time and I think you'll be good2go.

Regards,
Sid
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:49:27 AM »
Thanks Guys for all the help.  I am slowly getting a handle on things I think.  Anyway, I did draw the roadrunner so things are coming along.  Mounted the mill head last night and the z servo motor was undersized so I had to switch it out with an E712 hoss.  I haven't tried it yet but hopefully it will be enough to swing that 250# monster head around.
I'll be making chips (and most likely a mess) soon!
Thanks again!
billyjack
 ;D