Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:53:34 AM

Author Topic: Need Help with power Relay setup for steppers  (Read 4805 times)

Need Help with power Relay setup for steppers
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
I have got my spindle motor relay working, now I would like to set another relay that would cut the power to the stepper motors on an e-stop and bring the power back on with reset.  How can I make this happen? Do I need to edit the button in screen 4? If so what would I add.

Thanks, Tom
Re: Need Help with power Relay setup for steppers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:51 PM »
I believe you could do that with a simple "brain" function that monitors the E-Stop state, and drives a PP output to control the relay.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »
Tom,
It might be best to use the "Enable" on your motor drivers if you have them available. No relay necessary.
What drivers do you have ?
RC
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »
I have probotix motor drivers, could you please explain how to set up the enable for this?

Thanks, Tom
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »
Which model.....ProboStep or SideStep ?
Very little info on the Probo, there is mention of an enable pin on the SideStep.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:26:59 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:46:03 PM »
I have the probostep.  The way that I was going to do this was to run the driver board power through a relay that would cut the power on e-stop.  Do you think that doing it that way will cause problems?

Thanks, Tom
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »
I have the probostep. The way that I was going to do this was to run the driver board power through a relay that would cut the power on e-stop. Do you think that doing it that way will cause problems?

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

I'm curious why you want to do that?  The step pulses will stop, so the axis will stop moving.  Why cut the power?  In fact, it'll stop faster with the power on, since the holding torque of the motors will declerate the machine much faster.  Seems like unnecesary complexity to me....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
The main reason that I want to do this is so the motors are not running (heating up) when I e-stop the machine and walk away from it for any length of time. I guess I could just hook up a switch, but since I had an extra relay I figured that I would use that instead. Couldn't I have the relay delay before the power is cut then the e-stop would not be effected?

Thanks, Tom
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »
The main reason that I want to do this is so the motors are not running (heating up) when I e-stop the machine and walk away from it for any length of time. I guess I could just hook up a switch, but since I had an extra relay I figured that I would use that instead. Couldn't I have the relay delay before the power is cut then the e-stop would not be effected?

Thanks, Tom

The amount of heat the motors generate when idle is a drop in the bucket compared to the heat they generate when running.  Seems like an insignificant optimization.  Steppers do not mind heat....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »
OK, then I guess I can save my relay for something else.  Thanks for all the help.

Tom