Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:51:49 AM

Author Topic: Need relay setup help  (Read 4468 times)

Need relay setup help
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »
I was wondering if someone could give me an easy tutorial for setting up my output relay to turn on my router motor in Mach3.  I have a relay and just need the steps to follow to get it up and working. I was reading that I may have to edit the M3 macro, if so what should it be changed to?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need relay setup help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:44:13 PM »
All you need to do is go to Config menu, Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup. Once there take the check out of the disable relays box and enter the the output  you intend to use (can be the same in both boxes if you dont have a reverse) Then go to Outputs page and scroll down to the output you chose, set the port and pin for it and enable it. That should be you set :)
Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:33:39 AM »
As Hood says, it is as simple as that.

Are you asking how to wire up the relay as well ?

I wired up four relays on my machine to turn on the motor and coolant (still to do the coolant, but the relays are there)

The easiest way is to drive the relays via a Darlington array, direct from your LPT1 port (or from your breakout board). A Darlington array is  a power amplifier, and all the circuitry is contained in a 16 or 18 pin chip, which contains 7 or 8 seperate circuits. The cost less that £1 in UK from Maplin.

The circuits can each sink 1/2 amp and can be wired in parrallel to increase that. They take in a GND wire from your computer and a positive supply to drive your relays (whatever voltage you need). They are simple and easy to use, and do not need any additional diodes, etc.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »
Not sure how far you really are on this relay project but this is a great little tutorial:

http://www.cartertools.com/tbbrb.html

Jim:

Have any pics of your setup? Sounds interesting  :)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »
The easiest way is to drive the relays via a Darlington array, direct from your LPT1 port (or from your breakout board). A Darlington array is a power amplifier, and all the circuitry is contained in a 16 or 18 pin chip, which contains 7 or 8 seperate circuits. The cost less that £1 in UK from Maplin.

The circuits can each sink 1/2 amp and can be wired in parrallel to increase that. They take in a GND wire from your computer and a positive supply to drive your relays (whatever voltage you need). They are simple and easy to use, and do not need any additional diodes, etc.

What is the P/N of the chips you used I was looking at ULN2064 series quad drivers and wondering if they would work.

Kristin
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
You know what, I tried the easy set up described but couldn't make it work either,  then I noticed in spindle set up it says output 1-6.  So i put my relay wire into port number 1 and viola, it works like a champion.  Now i noticed that some one said stay away from pin 1.  Don't know why but the rest were used so 1 works great for me so far.  and of course when you hit estop, it kills the router too,  no extra wiring needed.

Hope this helps

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:46:43 AM »
You seem to be getting confused with Pin and Outputs, they are two totally different things, the spindle relay says Output 1-6, you can asign any pin you like to a Mach output (as long as its a parallel port  output pin of course ;)  )
 Input 1 can be set up to E-Stop everything but you can asign any pin to Input 1 that is convienent for you.

Main thing is  you have it working now :)

Hood