Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:32:29 AM

Author Topic: New servo drive - Any comments  (Read 4073 times)

New servo drive - Any comments
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »
I am about to spend a boat load of money on these servo drives and I want to make sure that I do everything I can to verify that they will work with Mach. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://web5.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motion_Control/Servo_Systems/Drives_-a-_Motors_Components/SVA-2100

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: New servo drive - Any comments
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »
Several members have used those I know but I never have so can't say. Hopefully one of those that have will comment.  All I have heard was good though.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:28:17 AM »
Yes!!!!!

They Are Awesome!!!!!  Used them on serveral Machines.  ONE Caviot though.....   If your wanting fast Rapids, then you will have to goto something like the "Smooth Stepper", since the Encouders are 10,000 per rev (2,500 * 4). Unless you use the "Electronic Gearing" but then you defeat the purpose of the high resolution Encouder........

Also, Depending on how fancey your wanting to get.........

You can get a DL 06 PLC and D-Com cards for each of your Drives, you can then monitor and effect your Drives data/paramters/commands over the Mod Bus. This will allow you to build a VERY high end "Drives" diagnostics and Trouble shooting page for when you need to set up, and/or service the machine later.

The largest of their products I have used is the 2KW Drives (but the drive it self is the same for 2KW and 3KW as far as setup/programming is concerned). Make sure you have the LATEST release of the Sure Servo Programming Software, and buy thier programming cable also.

scott
fun times
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:07:14 AM »
The main advantage of using high resolution encoders is not so you can command a 0.000001" move, it is so the servo drive has fine granularity in velocity term, allowing the motor to run smoother, quieter, and more accurately.  Just figure out how small you want your smallest move, usually 0.0001", then determine out how fast you will go at whatever step rate you can run at.  So Mach can run 0.0001" granularity with 25Khz at 150in/min which is good enough for any home machine.  100Khz will get you 600in/min.  So I do not think the smoothstepper is even close to necessary for a good and fast machine.  Just make sure you have a modern PC, and don't play videos while machining if you play with 100khz.  However, these days, most PC's do not have parrallel ports...so the smoothstepper may be in your future after all :)

My 2c