Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:36:08 AM

Author Topic: Microstepping & Torque  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
Re: Microstepping & Torque
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »
I have some big honking caps in the Astron and a couple of other saved junk electronics  just have to make sure the voltage on them is enough, don't want them to go boom and fly around!  ;D

Getting to late tonight to fool around, I'll report my findings tomorrow.

Kristin

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 05:54:08 PM »
Ray,

Been on a capacitor search, closest I have found is a 10,000Uf but only rated 30V BUT with 40V surge listed right next to that. So what does that mean? First time I have seen a surge voltage listed on one of these things. Looks like it will work with my 25VAC transformer from the wheel chair charger, that has two 25 Volt secondaries that seem to be wired in parallel through the charge control board. Any Ideas as to figuring phase on the secondaries, I was thinking just connect one lead from one to one from the other, one way (the wrong way) should cancel out to zero the other should show 50VAC series voltage.

From what I figure 25*1.414= 28.535VDC after the diode and cap and not accounting for the diode drop so the 30V cap should work with out providing me with the "big bang theory".

Kristin

Kristin,
 Put lotsa capacitance on whatever you use. I would think you'd want 10,000 uF at an absolute minimum, so you don't get voltage sag under heavy load.

Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 07:40:28 PM »
Kristin,

The surge rating means it will tolerate that voltage for a *brief* period, not long-term.  You'll need to find something with a higher voltage rating.  While you're at it, better pick up a new battery for the ol' calculator.  25 * 1.414 = 35.35V , not 28.535V :-)
    Your plan for sorting the phase on the secondaries is spot on.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
Ray, the calculator battery is fine :) it was me putting 1.1414 into it rather than 1.4141 :-[

Got it working short term, think I need a new battery for my cheap voltmeter too getting about 33VDC output with the cap connected, got to get the good meter out and find the new test leads I bought a few months ago.

I also got an answer on my LazyCam problem direct from Art Fenerty, seems zooming in before offsetting makes all the difference in the world! Two projects in one day is almost too much!

Kristin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »
Kristin, finding higher voltage lower capacitance might be easier and all you do is connect a few in parallel to get your required capacitance.
Hood

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
Kristin, finding higher voltage lower capacitance might be easier and all you do is connect a few in parallel to get your required capacitance.
Hood

Yup,

Know all about that but getting BIG caps here is tough, the 30V/40surge is working and has not proved the "big bang" theory yet! Now to find another 10,000 or so Uf for Free! ;D

Kristin