Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:43:44 AM

Author Topic: Hardinge HXL-S Again ! Is it worth it ?  (Read 7911 times)

Offline Rab

•  3 3
    • View Profile
Hardinge HXL-S Again ! Is it worth it ?
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum , and a newbie possible retrofitter ! I need a little advise. I have been on the lookout for a cnc mill as a retrofit project for some time but have not turned up a machine yet that suits my needs and budget. What I have found, is a little Hardinge HXL-S lathe though, which I can buy for the value of its weight in scrap. I know that some of you guys have done quite a bit of work with this model in the past, and I have read the posts, my question is though, bearing in mind I feel I can cope with all the wiring and machining mods myself, ( with help from this forum ) how much (Ballpark) would it cost for me to get this little machine fitted out to run from a PC. Is the AC motor conversion a must ?
The machine has both collet and 3 Jaw chuck, the auto parting tool,  a 2 way auto tool post, a none working bar feeder, but no tailstock.
It powers up and shows the read outs on screen, but when you try to move anything in any direction it does seem to try to move, but then does nothing.
As I said, I was wanting a cnc mill project, but I would hate to see this machine going on the scrap pile, If I thought I could bring it back to life for a small (ish) outlay I would give it a go !

What do you guys think, should I walk away and save my pennies for what I really want, or is it worthwhile giving this a go !

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
Re: Hardinge HXL-S Again ! Is it worth it ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
I have a HXL-S.   It's a fairly complex machine and prone to a few problems.   You have to bear in mind these machines are 25+ years old now, the Iron is usually good, it's the rest!

I converted to AC spindle as I have a dislike for large DC spindle drives.  The HXL-S had a 4-5kW DC spindle.

Most of the Pneumatics were screwed, mainly leaks and I hate to have my large compressor starting up every 5 minutes!   So All 5 port valves were replaced.  Also just this week all the seals in the turret.   Mines a 4 way turret.

Every piece of electrical cable inside the machine enclosure had got brittle with age and exposure to cutting oil.  All replaced.

Old servo motors had loose magnets and again full of oil.  So those were replaced. 

The list goes on........    But I'm still happy, I got a machine with Good Iron in tight condition, and the rest is 98% Brand New.

Wayne.....

Offline Rab

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
HMMMM ! It does seem like alot of work for something that I dont really need ! I think I will save my money for a cnc mill project,
Are there any parts on this machine that would be of any use to anyone ?
Auto part off attachment, or the 3 jaw chuck for example, I am sure if the guy is going to scrap the lathe he would sell a few pieces from it first.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »
Where about are you Rab? and Wayne what kind of size are these lathes, Colchester Student size?
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:52:01 PM »
Hood.   Much bigger than a student.    Mine is 16c spindle so 42mm (1 5/8") through capacity.   Original machine weighs in close to 2 tons in amall (6ft x 3ft) footprint. So rigidity is massive for this class of machine

Rab.   The partoff system is quite desirable as it also fits the CHNC's    Bear in mind that system is hydraulic driven by a hidden air motor powered pump in the right hand side of the base.

The chuck if a 16c powergrip costs around $3000 new from Hardinge!

It's a very desirable machine, but if anything like mine a lot of work.   

Wayne....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »
Wayne
 Thanks, I was meaning the physical size (footprint) I am looking for a smaller lathe and thought that might fit in the space of the Student, sounds like it might :)
 Hood

Offline Rab

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:12:42 PM »
I am in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »
Oh well, too far for me to be economical, after all you know what they say about us Scots and our money ;)

Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
There was a HXL on Ebay located in Ireland last week.    Had no picture, so I was not sure if it was a HXL or HXL-S    the S just means Siemens control.   The plain HXL is older and had  a GE control, it looked different too.

Hood.   Just about all the original solid dovetail bed Hardinges are the same footprint.

The CHNC's come up a fair bit, and are very useful especially in 16C spindle variants.  Their turrets are more complex though.

Theres a couple on ebay at the moment.   But rather too much money I think.   Mind you they cost a bomb new.   My HXL-S was close to 40 grand in 1986.

The HXL's were realyl a toolroom machine, with 4 fewer turret positions but had a powered tailstock..

I also have a smaller 5c Hardinge which runs Ahha s/w, but does have the 8 station turret.

Parts are not cheap especially from Hardinge,  this week I had to buy a seal kit for the turret (loads of o rings and Quad rings) Said bye bye to another 100 quid!   Would of cost me that to take it apart measure everything and then make enquiries with local stockists.   They were all Viton too which made them harder to find over the more comon Nitrile.

Wayne.....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
Wayne,
 Probably dont need anything as big as a Hardinge anyway, the Computurn can do surprisingly delicate work but could do with a small machine for turning small mu metal cores, the tailstock on the Computurn being a 5 morse kind of gets in the road for them.
 If I was doing a hardinge I think I would scrap the air on the turret and fit a servo with indexing drive, not sure how practical it would be but that would be my intention.
Hood