Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:09 PM

Author Topic: SImple tool offset procedure  (Read 12757 times)

SImple tool offset procedure
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
Could someone give the simple run down on setting tool offset in mach3 mill.
I am using the blue mill screen set and I am sure from the offset page its a simple procedure.
I am not using any tool setters , probes . I Have a refrence tool set as tool one and would like to touch off on the feeler gauge on a block of aluminum in the vice , then use the same method to set the length offset of each tool I add to the library.   

Is there a simple method of changing the tool number, jogging to my feeler gauge and then pressing a magic button to enter the data in the tool library?

Once I build my tool library which file do I need to back up ?
Thanks Richard
Re: SImple tool offset procedure
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:07:38 PM »
beuler? bueler?  I am guessing this is so simple it doesnt need an explanation but could some one post a link or page # in the manual explaning this ?   Thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
RT,
Chapter 7, Using Mach2 Mill.
Top of this page/Support/Documentation/Mach2/Using Mach2 Mill.
Explains it pretty good. Although I have only tinkered with it in simulation. (Wish I had a Mill)
RC
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Much thanks , I have been doing the hard way and my Dad is now working with this machine a little and we thought it would be nice to learn as many of the little ins and outs as possible

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »
Your tools can all be entered in the tool table - see Config/ToolTable.

Tool 0 is not shown but it the base setting of the table, with all offsets at 0.

You really need a quick change tool holder or similar fixture on your machine to use the tool table, since all offsets are measured from this, and the position of each tool can be guaranteed when you put it in.

My 0,0 position is taken from my empty tool holder. It doesn't matter where, but it should be some position that is readily recognisable and you can measure from it.

If you take my lathe (although the same applies to a mill if you follow it through) my home switches set the machine at 0,0.
My g55 offset (say) then sets the machine at a position where x0,z0 is level with the chuck jaws, and on the centre line of the lathe with an empty tool holder in the fixture.

My tools are entered in the table with their offset in relation to this i.e. they protrude "*" inches from the tool holder, and are "$" from the front. Therefore when I select a tool T0101 for example, and then ask the machine to go to x0,y0, the machine moves so the tool tip is at x0,y0. Repeat this for all the tools you are going to use.

I even have centre drills set in a holder at the rear of the cross slide, and if you call up the relevant tool number, then the machine will move the cross slide into line with the drill holder in the centre of the lathe, an appropriate distance from the workpiece to begin drilling.

The same applies to a mill, but the GCode is M6 T (whatever)
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
Thanks we're using tool holders in a fullsize milling machine and I fully understand the offsets etc , we were just having a problem figuring out which sequence of the dozens of buttons to push to get it to properly enter the offset data in the tool table .

My commercial mill (milltronics) has one button on the tool setup page and is pretty much idiot proof. You touch off on your gauge block with the refrence tool, zero the machine . Touch off with the tool you want to set , push the tool set button and it automaticly enters the offset , ask the diameter, hit enter and your done, m6t* to call up the next tool , touch the gauge block , click the only button that exist , enter the diam and so on.
The tool offset screen in mach just has so many buttons , bells and whistles that it confuses those of use used to the idiot proof centroid, fanuc and milltronics controllers.

I see now there are a simple squence of buttons to push to acheive the same thing, just didnt jump out at us initialy.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 05:59:24 AM »
Hi Richard,

I use a plunger type DTI for setting the tools.
It has a small flat face that the tools can be brought up against, the plunger points upwards---- there is a thread on the forum somewhere by the person who originally posted the idea.
It saves chipping a tool if you come down too hard and you don't need to have a hand sliding the block (or feeler gauge) to detect when the tool touches.

So what I do is load tool 0, bring down on the DTI to the zero mark, then zero the z axis.
Then for tool 1 select tool 1 in the offsets page, (bottom right corner) bring down on the DTI and click the "set tool offset button" just under where is says Gauge block height. This automatically loads the length into the tool table.
Make sure your gauge block value is set to 0.000
Do that for all your tools. (I use the shuttle pro which speeds up the process no end)

In the code put :-

T1 M06
G43 L1

(call tool 2 by)

T2 M06
G43 L2

etc

Hope that helps

Deker.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:01:20 AM by derekbpcnc »
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"