Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 06:14:03 PM

Author Topic: Strange issue since installing SS  (Read 10712 times)

Strange issue since installing SS
« on: August 21, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »
With LOTS of help from Chaoticone I was able to get my SS configured , but have yet to be able to use the mill. Now as soon as I power up my power supply I get the message "external Estop Requested"  . I have been running this machine for 4 years with no problems , this is a first. As long as the power supply is off there is no problem , the instant its powered up I get the message.
None of the axis are anywhere near limit switches and the power supply is a commercial Lambda 48v 40amp power supply thats not in the same cabinet as the SS, no wires or cables laying atop each other .
Just a little confused.
Re: Strange issue since installing SS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »
Another issue, I rebooted my system and now The red light is no longer lit on the SS board and when I launch Mach I get an error message "time out error getting data"

any help appreciated

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »
Tried unplugging and replugging the USB?
BTW not had a chance to look up about the delay timers yet, been too busy wiring new connectors onto my new servos that arrived today :) Will try and look tomorrow.
Hood

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 06:41:26 PM »

Now as soon as I power up my power supply I get the message "external Estop Requested"  .

That is typically a  noise problem. 

I don't expect that the SS is more sensitive to noise than the LPT but it is most likely sensitive in different ways.  A good quality USB cable is a sound investment I think.

There is digital filtering built in to the latest plugin.   Set some fairly high values and see if that fixes it. 

Then reduce the values till problem reappears.  Then you will know what values work for you.

Greg
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »
Thanks Hood, tryed all the usual plugging and unplugging connectors rebooting etc
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »
I will try the new plugin if we have power during the storm tommorow, I havent had any issues with noise/rf interferance in the past 4 years of daily operation with the vfd , servo drives and breakout boards all in the same cabinet  so I am guessing the SS is  more sensitive to stray RF than my breakout boards if thats the problem.

My USB cable that came with the SS didnt work so I have a very nice one with a braided sheild and a ferrite slug in place now, I tryed another one , same problem .

I am not against the thought of putting the SS in its own metal box in the main cabinet if it will do any good, How will I properly protect the cables ? Ferrite beads?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:27:48 PM by panaceabeachbum »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:39:30 PM »
The SS is susceptible to noise if no breakout is used, Greg reckoned on most people using a breakout so opted not to filter the Inputs. The digital filtering certainly seems to work well, I got noise on my MPG as it was directly connected to the SS, when I switched my spindle on or off or the coolant on/off the axis that was selected for MPG would twitch. Since the filtering has been added I have not had an issue and I just have it set at the minimum 1.43. On the Lathe I use breakouts on both port 1 and 2 and dont have anything connected to port 3. I have not experienced any noise on it.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »
My SS is tied to breakout board , I will try the filtering in the morning
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 09:23:02 PM »
Ahhh found the filtering , looks like I am running the latest plugin , look forward to playing with it in the morning.

Any thoughts the Error message "time out error getting data"  , it happened on one of the times I unplugged and replugged the USB cable and wont go away, causes Mach to crash and have to reboot computer.

The red led between the green and blue is no longer lit either
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:29:12 PM by panaceabeachbum »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm, post your xml and hopefully myself or one of the others can have a look.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!