Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:10:19 AM

Author Topic: Problem with cutting  (Read 6839 times)

Problem with cutting
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
Hi All, I have the most puzzling problem.

I have built two cnc routers I used the same routout controls and the same stepper motors and both machines work fine until I noticed that one of the machines
when cutting circles seems to step around the circle where the other machine cuts with a smooth action.

On trials I did cutting the same size circle.

The machine that cuts in a smooth action cuts 5 times faster using exactly the same settings as the other machine.

Now here is the funny part when I cut a rectangle of the same size the machine that cuts fastest on a circle is now the slowest, not by as much though

I use a PC on the one that cuts a circle with the stepping motion running windows XP the other machine is a laptop running windows 2000

I have switched machines with the computers and the results transfered to the other machine.

So the laptop works fine on both machines

The PC works both machines but with the same result when cutting circles ie slower and with a stepping motion

The only difference I can see is the laptop is running windows 2000 and the PC windows XP and has a lot more computing power than the laptop

Any ideas as to the problem

Thanks
Ray

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with cutting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »
Try copying the miil.xml file from the computer with the fast smooth circle too the other computer.
This will copy the good machines setting to the slower and avoid missed check boxes etc.

Don't forget to back up the other one first though.

Steve
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:53:53 PM »
Hi Steve, I will give that a go

Thanks for the reply
Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
Sounds like you may be using CV on one and Exact stop on the other, copying the good xml over should do it for you but you can always turn on CV and give it a go before you swap the xml's.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »
Hi Hood,

Thanks for the advice is the cv and exact stop in the config menu if not where is it

Sorry for my ignorance but still getting my head around Mach2/3/4

Thanks again
Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
General config page, just about the middle of the page. As a test just type G64 into the MDI line and that will put it in CV mode. G61 puts it in Exact Stop so if your G Code has either a G61 or a G64  it will change you mode no matter what your setting is on the General Config page, that is until the next time you start Mach.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »
Hi Hood, I will try in the morning but I am hopeful that this is the answer

Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.
Ray
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »
Hi Hood,

I tried what you said but in gen config it was set to CV as was my laptop.

Tried entering the G64 but it made no difference.

I might try uninstalling mach and then reinstall to see if that works.

Whats your thoughts of this.

My son thinks it might be a problem with the com port settings within the computer but that is way over my head he said he will check this out at the weekend.

So I am still scratching my head on this one

Thanks Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »
You dont need to uninstall, you can just install again over the top of itself. However it is unlikely that it will help as the settings are stored in the xml and that wont get overwritten in the install. If both machines are identical then try what bowber suggested and use the xml from the other machine and keep a copy of the one that is presently there, just rename it  before you copy over the other one.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
Hi Hood, I have not done what bower suggested as I do not know how to copy the XML
or where to find it.

Can you give me an idiots guide to doing it.

Once again sorry for the ignorance but computers are not my thing.

Thanks ray