Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:50:34 AM

Author Topic: Brain Editor.... Squirrelly?  (Read 3648 times)

Brain Editor.... Squirrelly?
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:38 PM »
Is it just me, or is the brain editor really squirrelly?  It seems to behave strangely quite often - not allowing me to select or unselect things, settings in lobes not "taking".  In particular I've noticed very often when I edit an existing lobe, the dialog comes up with the default settings, NOT the ones that were in the lobe.  "less than" gets changed to "greater than", or vice-versa.  When I add more than a screen-ful of inputs, it zooms out to the point the entire thing is completely unreadable.  One time, it started up in this mode, with an empty file!  The only solution I've found to this is to make the brain in several very small files.  But, since you can only delete from the bottom up, once you exceed the limit, this mean re-entering most of the functions all over again. 

I like the idea of brains, but I'm finding this VERY frustrating!  Really makes me wish for a textual way of entiering the data - it would save a HUGE amount of time and effort.  The GUI is so limiting, it makes the job more difficult than it should be.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Brain Editor.... Squirrelly?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »
Ray,

Yes, many quirks to get around, but, when you rungs shrink, hit the scroll button, then reclick the rungs, (do over if it doesnt take), this will expand the rungs and make it large again, in where you can scrool down the page, BUT.............  The downside of this is the Lobes will truncate the information inside them in where you can read what they are doing/for..........  so...........  you better write a hard copy, brain rung Programing list.

When ever you click a lobe to edit it, it will reset, that is the way it is...........

Yes, it sucks that you have to delete all your work from the bottom up, to correct or change a rung especially terminations, but, again that is the way it is.

There IS HOPE!!!!:

Brain has said that (Eventually), after other Mainstream issues in Mach are solved, he will finally get to fixing Brains......  He fixes code by the Rule that, the stuff that effects the most number of users is Fixed First, Since comparilitvly only a Small percentage of users actually use Brains, we that do use them, are far down the list.

Just Remeber this:  Brains is a "State" Program, it only activates on Changes to something it is watching from one scan to the next.  If you want something to be an "Auto-OneShot" type of thing (other than the timer function), you will have to hand code in the interlock your self, much like ladder logic on a PLC. So thus Mach/Brians will only react to a change every 1/10th of a second at its update loop time.

scott
fun times