Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:40:37 AM

Author Topic: Jog Y in minus and X motor moves  (Read 4038 times)

Jog Y in minus and X motor moves
« on: June 04, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »
I set up Mach3 on a Taig.  Everything seems OK but one thing.  I noticed that while doing tests that the X motor will ever so slowly move a click or two or three while rapiding in Y minus.  I tired slowing down the motor down.  I put it in MDI and feed it slowly with the same results.  Then I ran a program and it did the same thing and x position was lost.  It's around .004 thousands in every 5 inches of travel in the y minus only.  So if I was to program that was a circle it would turn into a slot after 50 passes.  Or I get taper milling in Y- but the + is perfect.  All motors hold rock solid except that one.  Any hints!

Thanks for the help,
BONE

P. S. When the x motor clicks while y is moving it doesn't show anything different on the readouts.
Re: Jog Y in minus and X motor moves
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »
This is noise in the system telling the motor to move... move the step and direction cables away from the power wires and see if that fixes it.
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:43:08 PM »
Tried it but no luck.  I made sure no other wire was touching any other wire and tried it again.  Same results.

Thanks and if you can think of anything please let me know.  Wierd, because it's only Y- that gives the noise to x to make it step. 

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 09:50:56 PM »
They don't need to be touching, they only need to be close. It is the EMI comming off the X motor wires that is the trouble...

Pull the X motor wires out of the box and see if that helps. This type of a hardware problem is very hard to track down at times.

hope that works
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 07:38:07 PM »
I changed the wires around to see if it reproduces the error on the other axis.  No luck and in fact 2 axis started to move.

After routing the wires differently I still had the problem.  So, I changed computers and all is good.  It performs perfect so far.  No missing steps and all is holding tight.  The one I was using had only 600 megahertz of speed to run at.  The newer one has 1.1 gig processor speed and the problem went away.  BTW, do you know if the software will run on the 64 bit computers.  I couldn't get the test driver to even work.  Just curios.  Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

BONE
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
Art and I both have 64bit AMD's so it should :)

www.machsupport.com