Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:44:44 AM

Author Topic: newby setup problems  (Read 10787 times)

newby setup problems
« on: August 07, 2008, 04:11:11 AM »
Hello just another newby here with a few problems.
i have built a tiny 3 axis mill for a trial machine to see what i could get from pc controllers. i have it running from my pc with another breed of controller and it seems ok but i cant get a single step out of mach3. i have a full version, licenced, and am using a xylotex 4 axis driver board. i have the pin outs set the same as the other config. and am using the same port and cables. is there something i may has missed in the setup? i have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times thinking that i muffed that up somehow but am having no luck. any suggestions?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: newby setup problems
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:25:46 AM »
Could be lots of things but first thing, do the DROs count up/down when you jog with the arrow keys? If not then make sure you have the motor enabled in ports and Pins.
 If you do then make sure the Jog Control button is active, ie it shows green around it.
 If the DROs do move but axis  dont then make sure you have the correct port set for both step and direction pins for each axis.
 If none of that helps come back and we can try further things.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:44:36 AM »
Hi Hood
thanks for the help
i have tried what you have suggested but unfortunately with no results. The DRO's do not move when jogged and the green lights are on on the
jog control. I also have no pin activity at all in the diagnostic screen, but im not sure what type of setup that is for ie mod bus control or the like. not sure if that pin display is used for printer port drivers. have noticed that the port name in my other controller is o&H378 where in this it only allows for o&378 .. dont know if this is a problem or not. if you have anything else i can try i would be very grateful
thanks
matt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:38:41 AM »
Sounds like you do not have the axis enabled in Ports and Pins. If the axis is enabled and the Jog Control is on you will see the DRO count as you Jog no matter what settings you have for the port address  etc. Oh and yes 378 is the correct address :)
 Please copy and rename the xml for the profile you are using, ie if the standard profile it will be Mach3Mill.xml. You will need to copy it to the desktop and rename it to mattrulz123.xml for the forum to accept it, you will find it in the Mach3 folder.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 04:31:30 AM »
Hi Hood
i have the axis's enabled in the ports and pins page and there is no response from the DRO's , does this mean that the driver is not working?
i dont know if i can post the xml file as you want as the computer im on now is a mac and the one im using for the machine is down in the shed. i will give it a go anyway but cant promise anything, mac's are funny about what they let you copy onto them.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 05:10:53 AM »
Just tried it here and it looks fine, have you tried going to the MDI page and typing in a G0 move? Just wondering if its a problem with your keyboard.
 Dont think it would make any difference whether the driver was installed or not as the DRO should still count as you jog. You can run the drives test to see if the driver is working correctly, shut Mach down and go to your Mach3 folder and double clcik Drivertest.exe. You should see a fairly clean line.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 04:03:46 AM »
yeah ive tried the MDI moves, same thing. i have done the driver test and it does nothing. there is no line coming up at all. i left it running for about 2 minutes then stopped it. does it take longer than that to work? the other controller software i have is k-cam which has a similar port pin display that shows the pinouts working fine with that controller if that helps at all. anything else i can try?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 04:49:42 AM »
Driver test should come up almost right away, it will say Initialising then a countdown then it should say taking over in 2 seconds then the line should start. Did you reboot the first time you installed Machh?
 Have a look in device manager and see if the Pulse Engine is there, if not install Mach over the top of itself again. If you didnt reboot after the frst install then remove Mach and reboot then install again and reboot. You can save the settings you have now by copying the xml file for the profile you use then once you have reinstalled Mach you can paste the xml back into the Mach3 folder.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »
yes i did reboot straight after installation but i will try reinstalling it on top of itself... tomorrow. will let you know what happens. where are you from, must be oz or nz as you seem to keep about the same hors a i do .. in brisbane australia.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »
You are about 12hrs ahead of me in time, I am from Scotland :)

Hood