Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:56:00 PM

Author Topic: Omron drives and motors?  (Read 23673 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Omron drives and motors?
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »
Dont see anything so far that says you MUST use differential inputs so you may be ok with just pin 1 as your Step and Pin 3 as your direction, if it doesnt work then you will need to get line drivers  and have pins 1 and 2 as Step + and Step- and Pins 3 and 4 as Dir+ and Dir-.
Hood
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
My friend I keep chasing my tail with this thing and getting no where.  I've wired it every way possible, but it doesn't make any sense at all.

If I wire the direction sig to pin 1 and the step sig to pin 2 then I get clockwise motor rotation when I hit the Jog + button in Mach3
If I wire the direction sig to pin 2 and the step sig to pin 1 then I get clockwise motor rotation but it's on the Jog - button in Mach3.

I've tried every possible configuration of wiring step and direction to pins 1,2,3, and 4 and those two above configurations are the ONLY way I get any axis movement and it's always the same direction.

I have the 3,4, and 5 parameters in CN-02 turned off, which is supposed to enable step direction inputs. 

Please tell me I'm missing something simple.  At this point in time, looking like an idiot for overlooking something simple is much preferred over this frustration.

Perhaps it's what you mentioned in your last post about needing line drivers?  If it is I think I'll need a bit of an explanation about them.

Regards,

Bob
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:29:51 PM by flhr97 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 02:17:23 AM »
As I said previously from looking at the manual it is pins 1 and 3 if you are using single ended inputs. Maybe you need to increase the pulse width, try again with 1 and 3 connected but with a pulse width of 6. Also try changing the active state of the Step pin.
 If that doesnt work then yes it could be that you need differential inputs, US Digital sell differential line drivers. They are meant to give differential signals from their single ended encoders but I see no reason why they wont work for  your application. They are fairly innexpensive http://www.usdigital.com/products/interfaces/encoder/cable-drivers/ea/
Hood
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:47:18 AM by Hood »
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2008, 03:27:58 AM »
Hi.

Maybe you have already solved out your problem and I'm late with my reply but anyhow...

In Omron the inputs have optocouplers with 220 ohm resistor in series. So your positive pulse goes to pin 1 if pin 2 is grounded and your positive direction pulse goes to pin 3 if 4 is grounded. If you use negative pulses - this can be reversed.
Minimum pulse width is 2,5 us and between pulses there must be 5 us. Ie. the max is 200 kHz. It's not needed to slow down pulsing in Mach.

Parameters CN-01 bit F must be 0 and CN-02 bits 3,4,5 must be 0,0,0

After major setup changes with Omron driver you need to trip power to make changes effective.

With Mach I have controlled Omron only through DSPmc/IP (Vital Systems) controller but I have used Omrons much in positioning with pulse position inputs. It's very reliable device!

Hope you are progressing fine!

Terveisin!
Arto
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2008, 03:41:29 PM »
I'm thankful for any and all input.  I did get it running exactly as you described.  I had tried putting step/dir on 1,3 and grounding 2,4 but I never could get it to work correctly like that for some reason.  Another person told me to try inverting the pulses and ground 1,3 and step/dir 2,4 and it works perfectly like that.

However I do have a new problem that perhaps you could shed some light on.  I keep getting A70 faults when I move an axis more than say 10 inches or so.  I've talked to Omron tech support but they aren't much help.  I've tried the autotuning but it seems like it stops prematurely.  A70 is the over torque alarm.  It ran the axes fine when it was still running through the PC so I'm sure it's not a mechanical problem.  All my torque settings are maxed out, I'm not sure what else could be causing it.   I'm wondering if there is something else that I should have wired into CN1 other than the step/dir wires? 

You wouldn't happen to have all the parameter settings that you used readily available would you?

Thanks much,

Bob
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »
OK. Let's try..

A70 means you have ca. 300% of the nominal motor torque. If this happens after slow motion (?) of ca 250 mm you must load the motor far too much.
What's the power of the servo you are adjusting?

1. If your motor in unpowered - can you turn it by hand with your mechanics attached? If the motor is something less than 750W you should be able to turn the axis pretty easily. Please check the full movement by hand to see possible misalignment problems.

2. Is you motor having electromechanic brake? You are sure it's off while the system is powered up?

3. You said 'running through PC'. Is this meaning you have adjusted the servopack with Omron's PC software and it runs fine with it?? If so then you need to tweak (lower) acceleration settings (motor tuning) in Mach.

4. If you follow Omron manual to adjust the servopack - you can quite easily do this by hand too. Autotuning in these Sigma I servo's is rather limited and won't suite for all possible loads. Try to return to factory settings in the SigmaWIN software, change the Pulse/Dir signal settings and start again sevo PID adjustment. When this is fine in SigmaWIN - go to Mach and set the acceleration and max speed correctly.

I can send you my setting values but I'm pretty sure they are not much of help as the mechanical setting can be really different..

BR. Arto