Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:30:25 AM

Author Topic: Omron drives and motors?  (Read 23669 times)

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
Re: Omron drives and motors?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »
Have a look at this:
http://ivan.blogs.chimerical.com.au/post/2008/05/02/Now-Im-counting-every-minute2c-Every-single-minute.aspx

It shows you one way of mounting a cheap (US digital) encoder on the back of a dc motor.
Hood is right there might be belts pulleys,adapter plates that you have to make, are you able to make them,
or have them made?
  As far as the Gecho drives are concerned they will run 80 volt@ 10 amp (peak 20 amp) thats up to 800 watts continuous,
they will more than suffice for your power requirements.
  Yes, the Gecho is a very simple entry level servo drive,but they work very well and are extreamly reliable in operation.
There are a lot of bridgeport sized mills around the globe powered by them,working to far greater accuracy than a wood router.
  Do you know and understand the advantages that the omrons,in terms of sophistication, have over the gecho?
And if you do will it make any differance to your machine?
  Starting from scratch as you are will enable you to match your leadscrew gearing to your motor RPM to your encoder count,
that way you will remove a lot of the problems associated with this type of set up.
   Plus alot of the guys on this forum use Gecho's so you will never be with out help setting them up.

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 09:49:38 PM »
Well, I have bad news and good news about the new mill.  It arrived last week and I've been spending all my time disassembling it to get it into my basement and then reassembling it down there.

The bad news is that the trucking company managed to bang my little z axis motor and ruined it, the output shaft is now at a 45 degree angle.  However that was the worst of it and nothing else was hurt.

The good news is much, much, better. 

The system arrived with 2 extra servo motors.  A U20030HA and a U2003OH, both seem to work perfectly.  It also came with a complete and functional Omron PLC.  Motherboard, I/O modules, high speed counter, and hand held programmers.  But best of all, inside the electrical cabinet I found 3 Omron servo drives, 2 R88D-UPO8HA's and a single R88D-UPO2HA.  These are the digital input servo drives that I was needing and lo and behold there they are laying in the cabinet.  I haven't wired them up to check them out yet, but everything else on it has worked so far. 

My question is now:  Do I need a breakout board to interface these drives with my PC running Mach3, or can one wire them up directly with the proper schematic?  If it's the latter where would one find the proper schematic?

Also all the axes are directly coupled, there is no gear reduction at all.  Is this going to be a problem? 

I've attached a few photographs so you can see what I'm dealing with. 

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 04:22:55 AM »
Hello.

UA type of Omron/Yaskawa AC servodrives can take in only analog signal for speed or torque. Another type of this Sigma I series has a step/direction input too and all Sigma II servodives can do it.
I have used DSPmc to control Omron servo's and this combination works fine. The machine has been in production several hudred hours without problems.
With AC servo's and DSPmc you can get very good dynamics in your movements. The main limitation you'll have is the Y-movement made without slave servo on the right side.
Your application does not need pulleys with AC servo's.

If you however decide to sell those servo's/drives/cables - I can offer you 100 per each.

BR. Arto

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 04:55:18 AM »
Excellent news that you have the UP drives, lets hope they are working, I am sure they will be.
 A breakout will not be 100% needed but I reccommend you use one, any of the breakouts will do, I like the PMDX 122 but there are lots of others.
 You may find that your drives I/O is 24v, this is a good thing as its less prone to noise but you will need to convert that to 5v for any connections to Mach. I use relays to do that.

Hood
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 10:20:21 AM »
Just an update today.  I've been talking with different manufacturers trying to figure out what would work best with the equipment I have.  They had concerns that these drives didn't accept step and direction inputs that they were CW and CCW input. 

I talked to the drive manufacturer today and they gave me a link to the full manual for these drives.  Here it is if anyone would like to save it for possible future use.  http://www.omron247.com/doc/pdfcatal.nsf/4BF4A623ECEAF58B8525683F0072E704/$FILE/I502-e3-1.pdf   It shows that these drives can take a few different kinds of inputs depending on how the parameters are set, and yes, step and direction is one of them.

Also these drives accept either 24 or 5 volts for input which is quite nice.  Now I'm just debating on which hardware would be better.  candcnc.com has a nice package that might possibly work which includes handheld controller.  Pete at cncteknix is helping me figure out if his equipment will work, I like the fact that they have things that plug into USB instead of printer port.  And I'm talking to the people about the PMX board.  Hopefully I can get something on order soon.  In the meantime I'm gutting the electrical cabinet on this thing to see what I'll have to sell on ebay. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 11:06:41 AM »
That is good news, these Omron drives will be much better than Geckos or whatever. I am not saying anything bad about the Geckos as they are excellent for the price. The Omron drives are probably 5 or maybe 10 times the price of Geckos and they should have lots of options the Geckos wont have, add to that the AC servos and you should be a very happy guy :)

I would go for the 24v I/O a bit more of a pain to set up but a lot less prone to noise, you probably have a transformer for 24V in your machines elec cabinet already so just need some relays to drop down to 5v for Mach. I have made a wee board that has 7 relays on it and I can use them all as individuals or have so many of them configured so they can be used for limitsĀ  and if one trips thye signal is cut, this lets you connect to Mach with only one input.

Hood
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
That sounds interesting Hood, would you happen to have a schematic?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »
Heres a pic of it, you can see the jumpers at the left hand side, you can put them one way and it will join the contacts of the relays all together and if you have your inputs 5v and 0v at each end of the terminal block then any of the limit switches tripping will cause a fault. Alternatively you can have the jumpers the other way and it will mean each individual relay is treated as an individual. Finally you can connect so many together and have the rest seperates.
 I etched these boards but have since cut one out with a 90 degree spotting drill and it came out fine as well and probably less hassle. See second pic.
 I was supposed to bring the code home with me to give to another member tonight but I forgot, wish I had seen your reply earlier as that would have reminded me LOL I should have it on this computer but finding it may be another question LOL

Hood
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 07:51:52 AM »
Hood, if you have a minute I'd appreciate a second opinion.  I've been working on mechanical changes that needed to be made and now I've gotten to the wiring. 

I bought the pmx-122 board you recommended to interface this system and am ready to wire it up.  Here's the full manual on these servos.  http://www.omron247.com/doc/pdfcatal.nsf/4BF4A623ECEAF58B8525683F0072E704/$FILE/I502-e3-1.pdf
I changed the parameter in them to allow step/direction control and need to confirm which wires to hoook up.  The way I read it, I think I would wire pins 3 and 4 for step and direction but am not 100% sure.  I would like to get your input.

Regards.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:51 AM »
Just had a quick look and I would think its pins 1 and 3 you want to use ie Pin 1 as Feed Pulse (step) and Pin 3  as Direction. I am not sure if the drive requires differential signal input and I will read later on but usually they can accept single input as well as differential.
 Got to get back to work and will read fully this evening.
Hood