Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:02:04 AM

Author Topic: Omron drives and motors?  (Read 23671 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Omron drives and motors?
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 02:58:09 AM »
From what I understand the Dynomotion does work with Mach, I am sure there is a plugin on their site.
  However if you can get the 3 drives for $600 and have the old ones to sell then that is the option I would go for and for the exact reasons you have mentioned.

Hood

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 06:56:49 AM »
Although ripping out your existing system and replacing it is not your
cheapest option,it does make your machine future proof,and you will know
it inside out.There is a lot to be said for that especialy if your intending
to do production work.You will always be able to get a replacement Gecho in a couple of days.
you might be throwing away money if you have to replace one of those omrons.
Whatever the suggestion that you sit back and consider all options before deciding is probably wise!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 07:13:18 AM »
Afraid in my opinion, and it is only my opinion ;) . but Geckos with DC servos would be a downgrade as far as I am concerned. I am not saying anything bad about the Geckos or DC servos, they are great especially at the price they are. You however have much better motors already and the cost of getting suitable drives will probably work out less than getting new motors and Geckos. In addition to that the configurability and features of your drives will be much much more than the Geckos.
 Swapping out motors will also probably mean motor mounts, different pulleys etc etc. so a lot more work.

You can also do what I am doing as far as future proofing is concerned, keep your eye out on eBay and pick up spare drives and motors etc when they are cheap. If you are desperate for drives the only ones on eBay are expensive, when you dont need them then the cheap ones appear, think its called Sods Law :D

Hood
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 08:08:25 AM »
I"m going to call Dynomotion today and talk to them.  I was just going by what I saw on their website and the FAQ states that it doesn't work with Mach3.  I do like the look, price and compactness of the Kmotion.

Comet's point about future availability is a good one to consider.  I do plan on using this machine for some production work, so that is something I will have to think about while deciding how best to proceed. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »
I"m going to call Dynomotion today and talk to them.  I was just going by what I saw on their website and the FAQ states that it doesn't work with Mach3.  I do like the look, price and compactness of the Kmotion.

Look here, a bit down the page it says it comes with Mach3 PlugIn.  http://dynomotion.com/Software/Download.html
 A member here says he has them and I think may be an agent for them in the UK, might be worth asking him, heres his profile. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=58

Hood
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:32 AM »
Good catch Hood, they must have forgotten to update their FAQ page.  I'll try and chat with the guy you mentioned and see what he says.  I have a few hours to wait till Dynomotion opens up for business.  If it would work with mach3 and the motors I have this would probably be my best option since it makes future repairs easy and I can still sell the drives I have to offset the cost.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »
I was under the impression you still needed to keep your drives but thats just from my understanding of the posts I saw da21 make. Will have to go look at them again as it was a while back.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »
From what I have seen you can either use the Kmotion and your analogue drives or use the Kmotion and add a snapamp for each axis. The latter is getting expensive as you would need the Kmotion at $600 and 3  SapAmps at $400 each.
 Would be better getting the Omron drives for $600 if thats the case.

Hood
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
I talked to the gentleman at Dynomotion today.  The Kmotion won't drive the motors even with the snapamp, according to him.  They don't put out enough voltage to drive the 200V motors.  The Kmotion would work as digital to analog converter if I bought one and placed it between the PC and the Omron drives.  At 600.00 though, that's a pricey fix. 

So I'm back to looking at replacing the Omron drives, although now Comet has gotten me to thinking about what I do in the event of hardware failure.  Replacing all the motors and drives and selling what I have is starting to sound more and more feasible to me.  Surely I could find motors with the same frame as the ones I have, which would make the changeover that much easier. 

It's an interesting dilemma and one that is certainly going to take some more research.   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
Think carefully before you get rid of the AC servos and drives. These drives are way more powerfull than Geckos with the features they will have. I have not studied the manual for their I/O capabilities but I would imagine they would be on a par with the Giddings and Lewis drives I use.
 I mentioned it before but maybe you didnt see it or dont want to risk it or..........      but if you want I can send you out one of the Tek10 top boards to try out and see if they can be used correctly for digital to analogue conversion.

Hood