Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:31:27 AM

Author Topic: Omron drives and motors?  (Read 23681 times)

Omron drives and motors?
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
I've been running my little taig mill with Mach3 and enjoying it very much, but I recently wanted something just a bit bigger for woodworking projects.  I bought this http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/father_torque/2b0b_3.jpg  and I'm in the process of figuring out how to get it running.

The motors and drives are all Omron.  They have a 400w motor on the x axis, 200 and 50 on the y and z.  They are all 200V 3p drives.  I spoke with the techs at Omron and they said that I could run the drives with regular household 208v, by running the 2 phases to two of the drives inputs and jumpering one of them to the third input.  He said this would satisfy the internal voltage checks and allow the drive and motor to run albeit at 1/3 less power.  Considering the size of the drives and motors and that I'm not going to be cutting metal with this I dont' see that as a problem.

My question is how do I go about interfacing between my PC and the Omron drives?  I've read around enough to know I need some sort of breakout board, but I haven't seen an Omron specific one.  I'm hoping that there isn't something different about the Omrons that would preclude me from running them in this fashion.  I'd really like to use the existing motors and drives since everything is installed, wired up, and ready to go. 

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  In the event that you need them the motor model #s are U20030HA x axis, U40030HA-B y axis, U05030HA-B z axis.  The drive #'s are R88D-UA12HA x axis, R88D-UA08HA y axis, and R88D-UA03HA z axis. 

Regards,

Bob Sharp

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Omron drives and motors?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »
It will all depend on whether the drives can accept Step Direction, a lot of Omrons do so if that is the case then it should be possible without too much hassle, you will have to re route wires etc and if you had wiring diags it would be much easier.
 Just away to have a search and see if I can find a manual for your drives.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:00:08 AM »
Hood I found this if it helps. http://www.avtomatika.org/docs/7/30.pdf

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:44 AM »
Just found some info and yes they can accept Step/Dir or as Omron call it Feed Pulse and Direction.
 Should be a fairl;y easy retrofit :)
 You might want to look at the smoothstepper as it will allow you to use the speed of the AC Servos without having to resort to electronic gearing in the drives. Any of the breakout boards will work for you, I personally like the PMDX122 but there are a lot of other good ones to choose from.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »
ah see you posted as I was typing, will look see what your link says :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »
Maybe I spoke too soon, see mention of models within the range and look like yours are analogue input, will do some more reading in between loading the lathe :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »
Looks like yours are Analogue input, thats not so good :(
There are a few recent products that can be used but how good they are I dont know, the ones I know of are
DSPMC/IP Motion Controller from http://www.vitalsystem.com/

K Motion controller from http://www.dynomotion.com/

DMC Series from Galil   www.galilmc.com/

Hood
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »
Hmmmm, would I be better off selling these motors and drives and getting ones that would accept step inputs?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »
Will have a read throughthe docs later on and see for sure but you may be able to get a pulse to analogue converter from Omron, I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.
 If you cant get that then possibly you can get the Omron drives that will accept Step/Dir and sell your Analogue ones, might not be worthwhile dependant on what the market for the secondhand drives are. Might be worth asking Omron if they do part exchange though as quite a few drive manufacturers will.

Later

Hood
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »
Well the news isn't getting any better.  Omron techs say they know nothing about an analog to digital converter.  Omron doesn't manufacture either drive anymore, in fact they never did, they bought these from yaskawa and rebranded them, so no return program. 

I can find the ones I need on ebay for around 600.00 dollars a piece, ouch!  Didn't even mention THAT scenario to my wife. ;)  I checked with PlcCenter Surplus Industrial about selling them my old ones and buying the ones I needed from them.  They GRACIOUSLY offered me 72.00 dollars for all three of mine and wanting the aforementioned 600.00 EACH for theirs.  I talked to Gecko today and none of their drives will run the 200v motors I have. 

I'm debating just pulling the motors and the drives and selling all of them and going back with all different equipment.  That just irks me knowing that I have everything here and it's all matched to the gantry and to each other.  I keep thinking there has to be some sort of way to make this thing work.  Any ideas no matter how crazy are certainly welcome at this point.