Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:54:53 PM

Author Topic: What file extension should I use for Mach3  (Read 22975 times)

Offline MJR

•  35 35
    • View Profile
What file extension should I use for Mach3
« on: June 03, 2006, 12:03:20 AM »
I have the opportunity to have someone design some projects for me in ArtCam8.
When we went to export file to a different (than ArtCam native format) a list came up with many file extension choices.
Just wondering if anyone would know which is the best one to chose?
Many different choices of (*.tap)
one for Mach2 (*.cnc)
many with the words "g-code" (several different extensions)

When I find the right extension & load the file into Mach3, will I need to do anything extra or can I just go ahead & run the file?

Thanks.
Re: What file extension should I use for Mach3
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 09:41:28 AM »
I think this is how ArtCam is picking the post... I would use the Mach2.cnc one. you will need to select all files in mach3 to get it to load.

Hope that helps
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline MJR

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »
Thanks Brian:
The Mach2.cnc file extension worked perfect.  I also tried Gcode inch.tap & it worked fine as well.  The code text was slightly different  between the two but had the same results.

The forum has been great thanks.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 07:13:03 PM »
Great! you are going to have to post a pick of your work :) love to see the great work you all doing!
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

bjoakland

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 05:33:35 PM »
 ;D my first post, hehe  :o

I use ArtCAM Pro 8 and have had 'success' with both of the formats you have mentioned.  I am replying because you need to use the G-code Arcs (Inch) (*.tap) format if you want your curves to actually be curves instead of tons of straight moves.  I operate an ancient machine that has recently been retrofit, and I must say that Mach3 has been a huge blessing.  I'm still trying to get it to run cleanly (it's quite jerky between lines).  I am trying to learn how to properly set the dipswitches on the IM805's and get the motor tuning correct.  I am not an engineer of any sort, but am a true 'propeller-head' when it comes to high techy stuff like this.  I'll make my way there eventually.

Just my $0.02

~edit~

I've attached a screenshot of a test job that I'm doing for my uncle, once I have the 'jerkyness' pulled out of the system.  It'll be made of 18lb precision board, so priming and painting will take a while, but it's family so it's worth it!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:47:13 PM by bjoakland »

Hood

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 07:50:43 PM »
bjoakland
 Have a look and see if you are running in Exact Stop mode, that may be what is causing the jerkyness.
Hood

bjoakland

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:04:19 PM »
Under Initial State settings, it's in CV (constant velocity) mode as far as I can tell and it's reading 20 lines ahead.....  I'd provide more details, but the machine is running at the moment.  I may not have the motivation to come in this weekend to study/tweak/learn/screw-up/fix/cry/jump-for-joy/stomp-feet like I have over many recent weekends, but you never know.....

I've been trying to gather all the information on the steppers, gearing reduction, baud rate, drivers, resistors, etc. and some screen shots of my mach3 configurations to post up before I start asking too many questions.  I like to have all my ducks in a row before I tap the experts on the shoulder and ask for help.  I learn better that way.  ;)

~edit~
i'm am using a different computer to make this reply   ::)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:08:14 PM by bjoakland »

Hood

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 03:20:42 AM »
Oh well if its in CV mode then thats not your problem. One thing though is to make sure that your post processor isnt putting a G61 in the code as this will change to ES mode, If you are using the standard screen there should be a LED/button on the main page (Program Run) which will have a green outline round it when in CV mode, check it is when running your code.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 08:50:23 AM »
Hello Bjoakland,
     I use Artcam as well. Old Version 5.5. On Pro 8, can you highlight the vectors and Arcfit? (I think in your version it does this by default.) If so, try that and see if it helps. Hood is dead on about CV mode. I suspect this is your problem. You might want to check your CV mode settings also.

Hope this helps. ;D
Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

bjoakland

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 01:00:31 PM »
Hood-
Sounds like I'm making a trip to the shop this morning.  I am very anxious to have this resolved.  I'll double check the led's, but I am nearly certain that to the right of the E-stop button (near the bottom left of display?) there is an led that indicates CV mode, and has been lit.  I've only been doing this for about 3 months, and this is all by memory, so I may backpedal if I am wrong.  I'll also check for the G61.  If it's there, I'll nuke it and run a test.

Chaoticone-
A selected bezier curve is quickly converted to arcs with the dialog 'Fit Arcs to Vectors.'  In most circumstances, I usually don't bother being that precise before I export.  The G-code Arcs (inch) (*.tap) export format actually does it for me.  It does a great job without the manual conversion step.  Unlike many of the folks here, I don't need extreme precision.  I do signs, and the objects I tend to cut are quite large.  I haven't run across a problem with too many lines of code or anything yet, so it hasn't been an issue.  Is there an advantage to fitting to arc before exporting?  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:05:51 PM by bjoakland »