Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:21:16 AM

Author Topic: General newbie set ups....  (Read 3429 times)

Offline CHUFF

•  12 12
    • View Profile
General newbie set ups....
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »
Ok.. I've read the entire PDF from Artsoft's website and watch most of the video's. I sorta get it now, but there are still MANY questions.

One... Is there a more comprehensive g code generator that lazycam that someone can recommend? I've found that LazyCam has a lot of options that simply don't work or do anything when I apply them.. :/

Two: There a few buttons and functions outlined in the literature that are NOT in my system. A "Touch" button for example, is not in my system anywhere. As well... My JOG LED's do not light up.

Finally.. I'm using TurboCAD as my drafting software, and I was wondering if anyone else uses that? How can I define cutting offsets within IT, as the Mach literature suggests that be the case.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: General newbie set ups....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »
There are lots of G-code generating programs out there. I have used Solidcam and Artcam and a demo of Vectric. They all work very well. There are also some listed in the links section, cam software. Did you purchase the Lazycam pro licenses? I haven't used it much, but many of its features are unlocked when the pro licenses is in place. Ask more specific questions and some of the others will tell you if it is possible with Lazycam I'm sure.

When you say jog leds, are you referring to the leds on the diagnostics page? E jog is short for external jog and they don't lite when jogging with a keyboard.  There used if you set up external jog buttons such as a pendant. Not sure about the touch button. Adding/deleting/removeing buttons is pretty simple using screen 4. It can be found in the downloads section for free. There are several options for setting up buttons there, vb being one of my favorites as the possobilities are almost endless as to what the button can be made to do.

I've never used turbo cad, but lots of others have. Sure some of the others will post on this too.

Brett

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline CHUFF

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »
Ok.. well as far as CAM software, I've found several links to many different CAM/Gcode generating software all for over $200! No offense, but I kinda want to see if this program is even gonna work before I keep throwing money at it.

As for the LED's I was refering to, they are the ones in the "Tab" flyout jog thingie. The "Jog Mode" LED's don't work. I can still jog the motors around, but I don't get cont., step, or MPG.

And still.. I'm VERY confused about setting up tool offsets. I have a simple piece.. a circle with smaller circles cut into it. OBVIOUSLY the tool must travel the OUTSIDE of the bigger circle, but INSIDE the smaller circles... this simple task seems all but impossible. DO I have to create my CAD drawings compensating for the tools myself? If I want a one inch circle, do I have draw a 3/4 circle to compensate for the tool? That doesn't seem right!

Has ANYONE got this figured out with TurboCAD, and the basic NON PRO version of LazyCam?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »
No offense taken. I can assure it works. Thousands are allready using it with great sucess.  ;)

Do you have jog enable on? Center bottom of program run page you have a jog on/off toggel button.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:11:24 AM »
And still.. I'm VERY confused about setting up tool offsets. I have a simple piece.. a circle with smaller circles cut into it. OBVIOUSLY the tool must travel the OUTSIDE of the bigger circle, but INSIDE the smaller circles... this simple task seems all but impossible. DO I have to create my CAD drawings compensating for the tools myself? If I want a one inch circle, do I have draw a 3/4 circle to compensate for the tool? That doesn't seem right!

Unfortunately you do have to purchase LazyCam to use Offsets and pocketing so you are correct in saying that you can not try out those features until you purchase the license for it. If you did indeed watch the videos, it's no wonder you're a bit confused on how they work because they don't with the free version. I can assure you though that it does work but keep in mind this is still a BETA program with not a lot of "written" instruction so it may not be for you.

Unfortunately CAM programs do cost money and sometimes quite a lot of money but for the time they save, they can ne worth it to some depending on what's being fabricated. To give you some comfort in LazyCam, I was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago and had no idea what I was doing with any of this software, especially learning any CAM program, but I'm easily making parts now from all the help from the fine folks here. Maybe do some searches in the LazyCam forum about the questions you're having as I assure you that they've bveen asked before -  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)