Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:07:57 AM

Author Topic: More motor trouble  (Read 4273 times)

More motor trouble
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »
I thought that I had things set up fairly well, but when I am running a part after about 45 min in the motors will begin binding and missing steps. I have the probotix bob, drivers and motors. I am running Mach on my laptop and have optimized it and set it to standard pc mode. The driver test gives me excellent report.  I do notice that the problem seems to get worse as the motors heat up.  I am running the motors in 1/4 step mode unipolar, my feed rate is 70 ipm.  I even tried slowing down the axis's and the motors will start binding even at the slower rate 30ipm.  I can even get the motors to bind by putting squeeze pressure on the motor coupling while the machine is homing at 10 ipm.  I have checked my wiring and voltages all seem fine.  I am at a loss to figure out what is wrong.  I have read alot of the posts here and tried all of the suggestions, I don't think that this is a problem with Mach. I am thinking of getting new motor drivers and bob from another source if someone thinks that it will work.  Any suggestions that anyone has will be greatly appreciated.  By the way my setting on the motor tuning and X & Y= 80 velocity, 8 on acceleration Z=  30 vel 3 acc, debounce set to 1500, cv .20, look ahead 150.

Thanks, Tom

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: More motor trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »
Are your drives getting hot?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:56:27 PM »
Yes, The drives get hot.  I was told that is ok if they get hot.

Tom
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »
They can get hot......but not TOO hot.
Try the same program run but with the panel cover open and a fan blowing throughout the enclosure.
You may just need more ventilation.
Good luck,
RC

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »
Same goes for the steppers as they should not get TOO hot ie; can't hold your hand on them ( in the 125 to 140 deg F range). To much current and they can start acting up.
RICH