Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:50:55 AM

Author Topic: Relationship between tool height-probe height and work offset  (Read 5656 times)

Relationship between tool height-probe height and work offset
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »
Hi, I have set up my probe with a macro that work pretty well as well as a tool pre setter that work pretty well too.

Now my question is what is the relationship between the table top position, tool length offset and workpiece coordinate (G54)

The macros work individually for the probe and tool height setter but how do I combine both

I have attached a little drawing of some measurements I made
Re: Relationship between tool height-probe height and work offset
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:39:30 AM »
At the end, All I would like to do is probe the workpiece, measure tool offset and when asking for a G0 Z0, the tool is just touching the workpiece

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:48:23 AM »
I take it all the tools are set to the same height with the tool setter.

You are making it more difficult for yourself - the only measurement that means anything is the difference between the tool height setter and the top of the workpiece. Touch the  tool height setter with the probe, set your Z DRO to zero, then touch the top of the workpiece. The reading is the z offset for your cut.

I do not know why you are doing this, however. If you have a tool height setter, this should be entered into your tool table, so that when you select your tool, the offset for the tool height is already known (I take it that it is constant), and then the only thing you need is the height of the top of the workpiece.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:57:31 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the reply,

This is exactly how a CNC work, The home position on the Z Axis is the reference.

You measure the height of the workpiece, and you measure the height of the tool.

As an example, your Z coordinate on your workpiece, could be Z-16.8758 with the tool offset can be 6.8976.

It's with the macro I have trouble, I have some problems with all the GetVar, setDRo, GetDro, GetOemDro, ect.    I'm very new to all of this

I've been working on CNC for more than 20 years now, I know how it works.

When I probe the height of the workpiece, what Macro Code I should take ?

When I measure the tool height, what Macro code I should use, Is there a variable to set the tool height on the offset page ? (the tool height offset DRO)

What is the difference between getDRo() and  Get OemDro(),   SetDro and call setDro().  I'm confuse with all those code.

Thanks to take you time to answer, this is very appreciated, Jeff

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,667 2,667
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
Without engineers the world stops