Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:51:36 PM

Author Topic: What do I need for touch screen interface?  (Read 6729 times)

What do I need for touch screen interface?
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:22:39 PM »

I am putting together a system to run a milling machine.  I like the idea of touch-screen control, in that it would seem to make the whole thing easier (less mechanical controls to implement).  Couple questions:

Do I need to look for anything specific in the touch-screen itself, or will any brand / model work?

Is there a suitable touchscreen "driver" available for 3, possibly 4 axis mill, or would I need to create something?  (I am trying to make this as simple as possible)

Anything specific that I should know before committing to using a touch screen.

Thx
Scott Kelley

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need for touch screen interface?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »
There are a few technologies for touch screens, resistive seem to be the most recommended, I have two and they work well. I also have a capacitive and it also works well. I did have an ELO screen for a while on the lathe, it had SAW technology, seemed to work well until coolant got onto the screen and it started jumping all over the place so far too dangerous for CNC I think. I just bought a resistive overlay from eBay and fitted that instead  :0

You dont need drivers other than the ones that will come with your touch screen (overlay or complete monitor) You can use any of the Mach screen sets  you wish but you may find the ones with the bigger buttons are better.
 I wouldnt go any smaller than a 17inch monitor for touch screen use unlesss you are going to make up your own screenset, much simplified and with big buttons.

Hood
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:38:40 PM by Hood »
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
I've seen both USB and serial touch screens.  Is one better than the other when used with Mach?

Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
I have found ELO products nice to work with, over say 3M.
Also the ELO support was there when I needed it.
Nosmo.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
Are the overlays reliable? Can I assume there is some kind of software included to map locations and function? Until recently I did not know about them and was looking at monitors with the touch screen included.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
If you go to the ELO site, they have info on the different technologies, the software used to be downloadable from DOS to versions of WIN's  and different interface RS232, USB etc.
http://www.elotouch.eu/Products/Touchscreens/default.asp
There is a simple initial calibration program if you fit one to an exsisting CRT or LCD to map the screen positions.
 Nosmo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:54:23 PM by NosmoKing »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 04:08:01 AM »
Hey Hood, wasn't there something about cold weather having some kind of effect on one of your panels? Seems like I remember reading something about it.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."