Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:41:29 AM

Author Topic: Limit Switch annoyance  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Switch annoyance
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »
I use HoneyWell limit switches on the Lathe and the Beaver mill, mainly because they were there already but on the Bridgeport I have optical switches, both the Honeywell and the Opticals are very accurate. The Honeywell switches are expensive and the opticals cheap, problem with the opticals is if you have any chance of coolant or dirt getting on the lens they are no use. That is unless you house them in a case of some sort and have a sprung rod protruding out either side and a flag attached to the rod so it blocks the optical in rest position and unblocks in activated.
Pic of my Z Axis optical on the Bridgeport and a link to the Honeywell switches I have, and thanks to you I just got a bargain of it as I did a search and saw it ;)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160267044708

Hood
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »
Glad I could help :). I appreciate the advice. The more I play, the more I realize these Cherry microswitches are close to worthless. While milling, they trigger an event if the mill vibrates too much. After experimenting, I found I can trigger one of them with a slight tap with a screwdriver! Unfortunately, my Sherline doesn't really have room for the big limit switches. Are there microswitch-sized limit switches available? If not, is there a different brand that might be better? Or perhaps something external I can do, like surrounding the switch in rubber or sorbothane?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »
I use these on my Lathe for the Turret and Front Toolpost positioning, they certainly dont trigger with vibration and seem fairly accurate. I have 24V running through them and in fact all of my limit switches on the lathe have 24V supplies, I then put them through relays to change to 5V for the control (Mach)
 Not sure how good they would be for limit switches on an axis but they certainly work well for my lathes turret/toolpost.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Switches/Microswitches/IP67-Microswitch/74548/kw/limit%20switch
Hood