Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:28:10 AM

Author Topic: Boxford ATC  (Read 8013 times)

Boxford ATC
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »
My first post (typed for the second time! arrrg!)

I've just converted my Boxford 240TCL along with its' 8 position rotary ATC.
To drive this I've had to create (using macros found here as a base) some macros.

The Boxford ATC uses a stepper motor to drive the changer round, past a latch. The stepper then reverses to lock against the latch.
I've used the Y axis to drive this, set up at 20 steps per mm- which works out at 1 degree. So, each position requires a move of 45. This is done in incremental mode, as you lose steps when the stepper stalls against the latch.

So, set up your machine home position- somewhere safe where nothing expensive or painfull will happen when you change a tool!
Next, run macro M2000. This allows you to jog the atc forward, past the latch, reverse it on to the latch, as finally tell the current tool DRO, and DRO(1200) which tool you're currently at.
Make sure you have an entry in the tool table for every position in your ATC- otherwise you won't be able to select it and odd things will happen.
While you're there, ensure that the tool offsets are setup, as the new tool you select will return back to the workpiece at the same position it was before the ATC call.

The M6 macro will now allow you to select any tool. Just use eg. T0606 in your Gcode.

Hope this helps, even just as a base for your own macros. I'll be tweaking this so check back soon.

Take out the 'andy' from the attached files- it's the only way I could get them to upload! and remember to take a copy of your originals first.
Andy

Development Engineer
Amtech Electronics Ltd
Re: Boxford ATC
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
typo..
macro M3000 allows you to jog the ATC
Andy

Development Engineer
Amtech Electronics Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
Andy,
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a Boxford TCL160 with 8 position turret driven by a stepper,
I'm sure this is similar to yours on the 240 TCL

Is the two macro's you did up to date, have you made any changes ?

I'm using Mach3 so I assume the 20 steps per mm are set in the Motor tuning box for that axis.

Kind regards

George
One step at a time!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »
Hi, have just picked up a Boxford 240 tcl with atc from the school where i work as a lab tech.
i want to convert it to Mach3, i have already converted a Boxford 190 mill with the help of my husband but this conversion is very basic.
I have read the info on getting the tool changer to run on the lathe but its a bit beyond me. Can you please help by giving  me some more information on how to set the tool changer to run in Mach3.
Please bare in mind i am a novice and only just learning to use Mach3 at the present
Any info would be appreciated or perhaps screen shots of set up info etc.

Best wishes to all,
Cheryl
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
 hi tryed this code the numbers work except the a axis but the motors dont run please advise stephen.brindle@icloud.com or 0044 7775604191 ;D

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:54:31 AM »
hi tryed this code the numbers work except the a axis but the motors dont run please advise stephen.brindle@icloud.com or 0044 7775604191 ;D

i have send you a code for ATC here:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,36624.msg251085.html#msg251085

please don't start the same Problem at different places:
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.