Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:33:36 AM

Author Topic: Limiting motor acceleration  (Read 15104 times)

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
Limiting motor acceleration
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »
Hello folks,

I have been calculating motor size for a fairly heavy ganrty using Emerson servo sizing program. Quite understandably the size of the motor depends heavily on how quickly it needs to accelerate the mass to full speed. From another discussion group I got a piece of advice to use an acceleration time of 0.1 - 0.2 s to full speed (10m/min). With the acceleration time of 0.1s I get fairly decent motor sizes, appr. 0.37HP or 275W with a suitable rotor inertia to load mass inertia ratio.

My question is: is Mach able to handle this max acceleration, I mean can/will it optimize the routing path so that this max acceleration will never be exceeded? This qustion may be ridicilous but as I'm just starting with DIY CNC I hope you can bear with me.

Thanks,
Risto

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Limiting motor acceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »
Yes, when you set up your Mach for your machine, you set the acceleration and max velocity for each motor in the motor tuning screen. The acceleration is always what you set, and the max velocity is your rapid speed.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:13:07 AM »
Yes, when you set up your Mach for your machine, you set the acceleration and max velocity for each motor in the motor tuning screen. The acceleration is always what you set, and the max velocity is your rapid speed.

Great, thanks Gerry! I have not yet purchased Mach as the machine is still on the drawing board, maybe it's now time to get to know it better.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:10:14 PM »
I keep saying I will get shot for this - but you do not need to buy Mach 3 .

The free downlaod version will get you 95 % of features of the purchased one - certanly enough to get you going and  try - for nothing.

I am still using the free downlaod version. The only major difference between the two is that the free version is limited to 500 lines of code - and I have never come up against that barrier.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
tried any threading yet on the lathe Jim ;)

Hood

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »
I keep saying I will get shot for this - but you do not need to buy Mach 3 .

The free downlaod version will get you 95 % of features of the purchased one - certanly enough to get you going and try - for nothing.

I am still using the free downlaod version. The only major difference between the two is that the free version is limited to 500 lines of code - and I have never come up against that barrier.

OK, maybe so but I think the guys need to be paid for the nice job. Besides I will be using Solidworks models and VisualMill for CAM so paying the licence fee for Mach is a decent thing to do for the vital core program.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
Nothing wrong with paying for it, but download it and start learning how it works. I too also use the demo, but I don't actually have a machine to run. (5 year work in progress) ;)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
OK, maybe so but I think the guys need to be paid for the nice job.

That's what they are looking for ftec. Trying the free demo is there for just that, trying. Once anyone with good sense tries it they will gladly pay for a licenses out of gratitude for such a great product at such an insanely low price. Anyone doing less should be embarrassed.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
What a small price to pay for such a dynamic learning tool. LCam too !
RC

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 12:08:28 PM »
I coiuldn't agree with you fellas anymore, for the price of Mach3, it's an act of thievery to not buy it  :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)